Looking at a late 80s Force 50

Vtstar

Seaman Apprentice
Much respect to all that reply on these forums, many thanks in advance....

So I am looking at a late 80s (87ish) Force 50HP motor to repower a Starcraft aluminum 15.5ft boat. I have read the good, bad and ugly about these motors but looking to get further informed opinion on if this is a good option for me. The motor is running fine, been serviced and being sold by a boat guy/mechanic. Was told that flywheel magnets had been replaced and overall the motor is in good running condition and just came off of another boat that was looking to power up to a higher HP motor.

For my boat, 50HP is good. Max rating is 50HP and this would replace the non-operating 65HP that is on it now (but I admit 65 horses on this tin can was a lot of fun). From what I have read, these motors are simple, older technology which is no problem with me. I can do basic maintenance and adjustment, just not major teardown and rebuild others here can do. The other bonus is that from what i have researched, i will lose about 75 or more pounds of weight off the transom.

So.... would you? Trying to repower at minimal cost.

NYBo

Admiral
From what I have read, these motors are simple, older technology which is no problem with me. I can do basic maintenance and adjustment, just not major teardown and rebuild others here can do. The other bonus is that from what i have researched, i will lose about 75 or more pounds of weight off the transom.

So.... would you? Trying to repower at minimal cost.
In a nutshell these are exactly the advantages I thought of.

Jiggz

Captain
If you are really interested in this motor, I would suggest you at least do the following:
1. Do a compression test on both cylinders. While doing so observe the status of the spark plugs. Any signs of rusting is always bad.
2. Check the status of the gear oil, if it is greyish or shows contamination, I would stay away from it. Do this before and after conducting a test run on the motor.
3. Many of the problems relating to 50 HP in this forum are mostly related to leaky exhaust tube or exhaust cover. You need to test run the motor in a trash can submerged up to the cavitation plate instead of muffs. By doing it this way, you are simulating run at a lake and observe any exhaust and water from inside the engine cowl and also between the motor leg and the power head. Any signs of exhaust leak should prevent you from getting this motor.
4. Check price comparison.