1979 Chrysler 100hp gear ratio?

JoshJK

Seaman
I have been googling for an hour now and have yet to find an answer. Can someone please tell me the drive ratio for my Chrysler outboard?

Model #1007H9A
Serial #2918

Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
It will either be 2 to 1 or 1.76 to 1. To check, put the engine in forward gear and turn the prop backwards until it locks against the drive dogs. now mark the prop in relation to the lower unit. Mark the flywheel. Turn the flywheel slowly two full turns. If the prop has turned exactly one turn, the ratio is 2 to 1. If the prop has turned about 1 1/4 turns, the ratio is 1.76 to 1.

JoshJK

Seaman
Thank you. Is there anyway I could run a Yamaha prop that I have on my Chrysler outboard. I would have to run a washer between the prop and the thrust washer to get the proper depth off of the housing but otherwise it fits exactly like the Chrysler prop that is on there now.

JoshJK

Seaman
I am running this Chrysler engine on a 16ft ski boat and it currently has a 21 pitch prop on it best I can tell. The boat seems to be grossly over propped since I can get any speed or rpm out of it unless there is only one person in the boat and even then it isn't very good.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, you would need a 17 pitch or even as low as 15 pitch. I have experimented with various props on these engines and (assuming you have a one piece lower unit with 15 spline prop shaft) If you are a bit creative you can try a number of other brand props. If the Yammy prop is off a lower unit with a bigger outside diameter, you can either cut off the flange and leave it off because the engine is NOT a thru-hub exhaust or you could glue it inside the prop. If it fits the 15 spline shaft and the prop hub plugs into the lower unit, depth is not important as long as the prop does not contact the anode. However, you do need to be careful about shimming under the prop nut so the prop does not slide back and forth on the shaft with the nut fully tight. None of these problems are insurmountable: You just need to be a little creative.

You may need to remove the anode with props other than Chrysler

Since all Chrysler 4 cylinder engines are either 3.375 bore or 3.375 bore, it is possible to swap carbs for a little better performance. Your engine should have the 1 5/16 diameter venturi WB carbs. You can change the manifolds (bolt pattern is exactly the same) and install the much larger 1 5/8 diameter venturi TC carbs off a 125 or 140 and get a little better performance for almost no money invested. I have done this on 105s and 120s. Don't expect a killer, but as I said, you will get slightly better performance.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
anode is the part under your thumb held on by 2 flat head screws. You can take it off if you run fresh water lakes.

JoshJK

Seaman
Thank you

I just went out and got the prop that came on the Chrysler. It is stamped 526-21 on one side and then on the other side is stamped 8115366 the 8 and 6 on each end of this number are laying down.

JoshJK

Seaman
There is no contact with the Anode so that isn't an issue. The thrust washer does fit "into" the Chrysler prop, but the Yamaha prop would just ride against the thrust washer. WIll this be an issue? Here are some pictures of what I am talking about along with stampings on each prop. Again, white prop is Chrysler, black is Yamaha

Last edited:

JoshJK

Seaman
Frank one more thing. How can I make sure that my engine is firing on all cylinders and is not I'll? I think I have a compression tester gauge, but don't know how to check to make sure spark is sufficient other than the good old screwdriver in the plug wire technic

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Josh: Your engine has a distributor, correct? If it is a distributor and it is firing at all, then other than severely fouled plugs, it should be firing on all cylinders. No need to check them all. Checking compression is the single best way to determine if an engine is sick or well. Good compression with high numbers and equal on all cylinders indicates a healthy engine.

The black prop seems to fit well enough. Yes, it can simply rest against the flat part of the thrust washer with no ill effects--as long as it clears the exhaust snout which yours does.

Last edited:

JoshJK

Seaman
Very good. I confirmed I have spark tonight and also checked compression. I got 115 on the top cylinder and 120 on all the rest with a very cheap compression tester. This would confirm I have a healthy engine correct? Plugs are all brand new also. I believe this confirms that I am just wany over propped which is cause my issues.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Oh, yeah! A 23 pitch prop on a 100 horsepower engine is just way too much prop. unless you are powering a 14 foot go-fast hull.

Compression numbers are as close to equal as can be expected and although a little low, again, this can be the gauge itself. Right now it is nothing to worry about.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Mine came with a 23" pitch Aluminium standard on it, I had a 21" s/s prop and it ran much faster with reasonable hole shot, I tried a 17" and it lost at least 2-3 MPH.
If I had a 19" I would have used that. My motor is exactly the same but it was on a 17' Half Cabin Carribean.

Attachments

• photo205244.jpg
    photo205244.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo205245.jpg
    photo205245.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo205246.JPG
    photo205246.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo207077.jpg
    photo207077.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0

JoshJK

Seaman
The 17 will let me find out if I need higher or lower prop. I have the 17 sitting here so it is free to try. Then maybe I will spend money on a different one. Now if only I could figure out how to get the Chrysler to work with the Yamaha tach. I connected the white wire from the Chrysler harness to the green wire on the Yamaha gauge, then made sure they shared a ground. Didn't get anything on the tach but only tested it while cranking. The tach has a green and black wire and the Chrysler wiring harness has white for tach iirc and a black ground wire.

JoshJK

Seaman
The compression test results were also done with the engine cold cranking, not sure if that makes a difference.