1980 Chrysler 7.5HP propeller options

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I recently picked up a lovely little 7.5HP Chrysler outboard. It will see use both on my 12' tin boat and as a kicker on my 17' Trophy.

Just wondering if anyone knows what options I have with respect to props. It has a plastic prop on it (never seen that before on a gas outboard) that will likely be fine on the tin boat, but I think is too tall for use as a kicker.

Are there props out there for this?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What size is the plastic?
There is a 10 3/8 X 10P al.
Try Michigan Propeller.
Maybe Valley Sales in Prudenville, Mi.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That is a 7.5. The prop will be around 7 1/2 to 8 inches in diameter and the pitch will be about the same. You probably can't go wrong with either an 8 X 8 or an 8 1/2 X 8 or 8 1/2.. These props can be found in metal or plastic, two or three blade and almost any one is acceptable. The 7.5 is a prettier engine that the 9.9 and later models were better engineered--they were loop charged rather than crossflow.

Search ebay for Chrysler/Force props. I think there are a couple on there. Iboats may carry prop for the smaller Force engines and usually if before the mid 90s they will fit your Chrysler.

Last edited:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. So the splines for all these Chrysler/Force small motors are the same?

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
So there's this:
  • Diameter: 7 - 1/4
  • Pitch: 5-1/2

I think I need a lower pitch for using it as a kicker, but that's a lot lower than what Frank suggested.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I may have been off in quoting a 8 1/2 X 8 1/2 prop, but 7 1/2 X 5 seems awfully small for a 7.5 HP engine. and, 135 bucks for a brand new Michigan is relatively expensive when you can buy a used one much cheaper. You DO need to be careful though: The 7 1/ and 8 HP engines did use a slightly smaller diameter prop shaft than the 9.9 so props for the 9.9 will not fit.