• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

'85 50hp kingpin seized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '85 50hp kingpin seized

Hi guys, just got a new to me boat and the motor fires right up and purrs, however it does not turn very easily. I have disconnected the steering and the problem is in the motor itself unfortunately. I have tried heating the housing around the kingpin and adding grease and while that has improved the situation it is still way to tight. I am sure I am going to have to repair the kingpin and have searched the forums on how to do this but I have questions about how to disassemble. Do I have to pull the power head,lower unit, transom bracket? Does the pin drive up or drive down? Do I have to pull the motor off the transom? Thanks, CC

Before you do that, keep up the heat and add grease.
    I installed a couple more zerts.
    One on the top and one on the bottom.
    There is a bushing, I think made from plastic so be careful with the heat.
    The regular thick marine grease can be substituted with a white lithium.

You unhook the steering and try to turn it?
    Sometimes the steering is the problem and not the kingpin.
    GOT LOTS OF USED PARTS FOR SALE.
    TWIN 88/85'S
    Everything from power heads to controls.

CHECK OUT MY BOAT REPOWER THREAD.

Lots of parts .

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.

88 Bayliner 21CC Twin 85hp Forces.

Comment

I'm definitely going to give the heat and grease trick another shot today because it has improved the situation somewhat. Hopefully that will work but I am preparing for the worst, seems to be a common theme in my limited boating experience. Haha And yes JJ the steering has been disconnected so this is definitely a motor issue.

Comment

Ok so I tried the heat/ grease trick again with my propane torch, trying not to get it to hot and melt the bushings. No improvement. Grease flows freely but only out the bottom of the tube. Don't know if this is typical or not. Thinking I am going to have to repair the kingpin, anybody have any answers to the questions in my original post? Thanks, CC

Comment

The kingpin is knurled into the lower cowling AND has a big nut. Unfortunately, this nut is under the front motor mount so yes to do the job correctly you will need to remove the powerhead. Typically, the aluminum casting of the swivel yoke corrodes, squeezing the plastic bushings onto the kingpin. The kingpin will have some rust so the situation MAY be improved some by greasing and heating. However, the only sure cure is to remove the yoke and kingpin, drive out the kingpin, and remove the bushings. Then, clean all corrosion out of the yoke and grease it well. Finally, ream out the plastic bushings to their correct size.. And yes, it is necessary to remove the engine from the boat.

Comment

I added 2 zerts and it really helped a lot.
            The top one is what you need if the grease is coming out there.
            I drilled the hole in the boss around the top and through the bushing.
            Heated it and hit it with compressed air.
            Be very CAREFUL as the grease coming out can be very hot and could spray on you.
            Then sprayed it with PB Blaster or WD-40
            Installed the fitting and added grease.
            TWIN 88/85'S

Lots of parts .

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Acampora View Post
              And yes, it is necessary to remove the engine from the boat.
              I am in the process of building an engine stand just in case it comes to this. I am hoping I can get the swivel loose enough to make it through the rest of the season then start the project during the winter. Thanks for responding Frank, I have read through some of your other posts on this issue but I haven't done a ton of engine work so most of it will be learning on the fly. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjerry05 View Post
                I added 2 zerts and it really helped a lot. The top one is what you need if the grease is coming out there. I drilled the hole in the boss around the top and through the bushing. Heated it and hit it with compressed air. Be very CAREFUL as the grease coming out can be very hot and could spray on you. Then sprayed it with PB Blaster or WD-40 Installed the fitting and added grease.
                I have one grease fitting in the center of the yoke. Did you add one above this and one below this? I would like to give this a shot but I just want to make sure I don't put the zerks in a bad spot. Do you happen to have any pictures of your install? Specifically I wanted some more info on the boss and bushing you mention. I don't have a concept of exactly what you mean. Like I mentioned above, I haven't done a lot of work on outboard engines. Thanks JJ

Comment

Will try to post a couple later.
                  The post should have read. "the top one is the one you need if the grease is coming from the bottom.
                  TWIN 88/85'S

Lots of parts .

Comment

Here is a pic of my setup. Just want to make sure I add the fitting in a spot that is not going to cause problems with the clearance of the kingpin. Any suggestions?

Comment

I would try cleaning up the crud at the top and bottom where the nmotor swivels. That looks kind of crusty to me.
                      Bob, Orange County NY
                      '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                      Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                      Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Originally posted by NYBo View Post
                        I would try cleaning up the crud at the top and bottom where the nmotor swivels. That looks kind of crusty to me.
                        That's actually the new grease that has been pushed out the bottom. Just a bad angle.

Comment

I was thinking more of the congealed glob at the top.
                          Bob, Orange County NY
                          '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                          Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                          Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Congealed and painted. My money is on the bound/corroded bushing at the top.
                            When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

Originally posted by NYBo View Post
                              I was thinking more of the congealed glob at the top.
                              Gotcha. I tried scraping that and it was hard as a rock. I thought it was part of the casting. That can't be hardened grease, can it? I will put some heat to it tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for looking

Comment

Working...
                              X