1995 Force 40 doesn't return to idle

fralom

Recruit
1995 Force 40 , SN 0E108215

Timing is good, set the throttle pickup per the manual and adjusted the idle per the manual. Engine idles just fine until any of the controls are used that moves the linkages. Once moved, the engine does not return to idle - it sits up at 1800 to 2000 rpm. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Could the throttle cam mounting hole be worn, allowing it to move around? Could the rubber bushings on either side of the throttle cam be bad? Could the nut securing the bushings and throttle cam be too loose? Too tight? Or, is it something in the tower shaft?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Try adjusting the throttle cable end. I had the exact same problem today because I had unscrewed the cable end several turns when I had a different motor mounted.

fralom

Recruit
NYBo - Thanks, Bob! I will try that. Just found that section in the manual.

fralom

Recruit
I finally had time to look at the throttle linkage and realized I don't know enough about what I'm trying to do.

I disconnected the throttle linkage from the throttle arm pin - with difficulty because linkage connection hole is about a half-inch past the throttle pin. I figured this means I have to adjust the throttle linkage barrel.

I also realized that what I thought was only an idle adjustment seems to have some connecting arm that goes under the flywheel. The idle adjustment screw is screwed in to almost the end of its travel and I don’t think that is correct. Do I screw that out to maybe midway and then adjust the barrel on the throttle linkage? Will this affect the timing?

Also, it seems the only way to get the throttle cable free to adjust the barrel is to disconnect the shift lever and slide both barrels out at the same time because of the starboard bottom cowl grommet. Is there an easier way?

Thanks for any help.

IFM

Recruit
I had this same issue with my 1992 force 40 hp, I took it out in the spring of this year after i bought it and the throttle box was so loose and sloppy, everytime i would fo from forward to neutral i would still be moving, or when id put it in reverse it would shut off, you have to really wiggle it around to find neutral i thought. I played with the cables a bit before i ended up taking it to a marine shop who charged me $85 and had the machine running tip top and they also did compression test and told me everything is great. Besides that issue it wouldnt start here and there then it would just click once found out my starter was gone, so i would just wrap a cord and pull start it(it almost worked bette), got a starter now that seems to be a problem.

NYBo

Admiral
The idle adjustment screw is at the bottom of the timing tower rod. Do NOT change the setting of the screw on the linkage that goes under the flywheel! That's the timing adjustment.

If the idle speed screw has to be all the way in for the motor to run, the idle mixture is probably off. Follow the directions in the sticky at the top of this forum area to set the carb and timing. Running with the idle mixture too lean can cause piston damage (don't ask me how I know this :facepalm:).