120 hp L drive no spark

I have a 1990 bayliner with a Force 120 , L drive. the code is 120LD90C. I have been having electrical problems the last couple years and could never fix it. I couldn't find a mechanic to look it it, nobody wants to work on a Force. I got the boat for free so I decided to throw parts at it. I bought a new trigger, new stator, and 2 new CDI boxes for it. All CDI brand products. Put it all together, and I have no spark on #3 cylinder. switched coils and still no spark on #3. switched power packs, the blue boxes, and it made no difference. Could I have got a bad trigger ?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The CDI brand products are pretty reliable. It's possible the trigger could be bad, but all you need is a multi-meter and you can check the windings in the trigger. They should read 48 - 52 OHMs across each lead disconnected from the terminal block.

Based on past experience with the Prestolite ignition system, I would suspect something is not wired correctly. There's a lot of wires to connect to the terminal strip and it's really easy to get things wired wrong.

Also make sure there is a ground wire that runs from the CD Module/coil mounting plate to the engine block. If that ground wire is missing or not making good contact, it'll cause some strange problems.

I will check and double check the wiring. And I was counting on the bolts that hold the mounting plate on to ground it, I will add an actual ground strap just to be sure. I wont to be able to do anything till monday, but will let let you know if I get it fixed, or not fixed,

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Where you located?
You might be close to someone who can work on that motor.

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are your flywheel magnet(s) secure? Mine came loose and took out part of the stator. I noticed it when I went to re-install the flywheel. If you didn't notice, it could take out the new one as well.....