90hp sportjet ignition troubleshooting

Cueball876

Cadet
Have been working on this thing for a while... Finally got my dva meter... I have the red stator installed, when testing the stator resistance, checking between green/white and white/green, my meter pins itself to 0 ohms.... When checking between either wire and ground, I get no movement on the meter....stator is bad right? I have attached a photo of what my meter is doing when checking between the 2 wires. I have done the switch box bias test and got 2v( within specs) , and have also done the trigger resistance test. One question I had about the trigger resistance test. When testing between white/black(common) and all 3 trigger wires coming from the trigger, I got a reading of 1000 ohms, which is 100 under spec. When testing on the wires that go to the switch box, I got the required 1100 ohms. Which is the right way to test? I've done the primary input voltage on the ignition coils but could not get a reading. I've also done the switch box circuit test, and got 220 v( within spec). Any and all help would be appreciated. After looking at the prices on these ignition components, I can't afford to replace the wrong part, and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed. Thanks in advance

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Something doesn't make sense between the resistance readings of the stator, and the voltage readings at the Switch Box. The voltage readings on the input of the Switch Box comes from the stator. If your stator is reading 0 OHMs, I doubt very much that you would see 220V on the input of the Switch Box. Is your meter "auto ranging" or do you have to select a resistance range?

Cueball876

Cadet
I have to select a range on it.... I'm wondering if I'm reading my meter correctly.... It came with very little instruction on using it....it's not reading exactly 0 ohms, but when touch the leads testing the stator, it jumps all the way over to the right.... Pinning itself past the 0 ohms mark.... Does that make sense? I've been trying to upload the pic but I can't seem to get it to go through

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
If you select a range that is too high, the needle may appear to be going to zero. Try selecting a lower range like X1 or X10 scale.

Also you may need to adjust the needle. If you have a small screw head at the needle pivot point on the meter, it's used to adjust the needle. Put your meter on the lowest resistance scale. Touch both probes together and hold them there. Turn the screw until the needle sits exactly on the zero mark. Now you meter needle is adjusted to give accurate readings.