1988 85hp power trim

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Few years ago I had a problem with my power trim that would not go down. I had to repair the shaft going down to the pump. Question? What fluid do I replace the system with? Please don't tell me 30 grade oil. The motor keeps dropping down on me. I had no problems before I emptied it out.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Typically, you replace fluid with like kind: If the fluid was pink, replace with transmission fluid. If the fluid was honey colored you replace with 30 weight oil,If the fluid was clear, replace with hydraulic oil.

If you don't remember, and if the system is completely empty, you probably could not go wrong with hydraulic oil.

NOW: If you already have 30 weight oil in the system and it keeps dropping, that is not the fault of the oil. You either have a bad O-ring in the tilt cylinder or a bad (tiny) O-ring in the check valve of the pump. If your system has the screw-in check valves, sometimes you can gain some extra operating time by reversing the two check valves however, the only sure cure is to rebuild the valves. If your system has the check valves held in by internal circlips, then you need to buy a used but functioning pump or find a rebuilder.

Jiggz

Captain
If you can post a pic of the trim & tilt system you have it will help a lot in determining your next course of action. As Frank said, it is not the oil's fault if the system droops down but more likely due to bad O rings in the spool valves or the shuttle valve or maybe as simple as bad O ring in the tilt or trim cylinders.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
88/85 needs 30wt.Oops I told him.
The others gave the rest of the info.
There are steps for testing.
You have a manual? f not tomorrow I'll copy and post some instructions to test the pump and the tilt cylinder.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Like I said, no problem before I changed the fluid. The fluid was red when I drained it. I was thinking on going to a crysler dealer and geting tran fluid from the mid 80's. Thanks Frank. Don't think it's the rings. Nothing in the manual on what fluid to use. I forgot it at home but I have a site and took a quick look. There is two cylinders, is it possible one bad o ring would effect the other cylinder? It drops to the bottom. I am using the transporting bracket with a 2 by 4 wedge for now. Man I hate this force's. Nothing but problems since I bought it. 85 hp and runs like a 65 hp.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
So what DID you refill it with? It's not still empty, is it?

Jiggz

Captain
Like I said, no problem before I changed the fluid. The fluid was red when I drained it. I was thinking on going to a crysler dealer and geting tran fluid from the mid 80's. Thanks Frank. Don't think it's the rings. Nothing in the manual on what fluid to use. I forgot it at home but I have a site and took a quick look. There is two cylinders, is it possible one bad o ring would effect the other cylinder? It drops to the bottom. I am using the transporting bracket with a 2 by 4 wedge for now. Man I hate this force's. Nothing but problems since I bought it. 85 hp and runs like a 65 hp.

I see a pics of the motor and it seems to be in perfect shape. Unfortunately, none of the tilt and trim is showing. If you think 30W is causing the droop down, maybe you should empty it and fill it up with trans fluid or even hydraulic fluid. And if the droop down persists, I don't know what else to recommend.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
I think you hit it on the nose Jiggz, I don't have any pictures of the unit right now but as soon as we get a clear day I will. Motor seems oringinal untouched. I agree with last line. But I think your right.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
NYBo
Vice Admiral; I replace the fuid with what you guys told me to two years ago. 30 grade.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You said it came out red???
That indicates someone's changed it somewhere along the way.
The OEM is 30 wt.
If it's red it's power steering fluid.
Some think the red stuff eats the o-rings in the T/T system.
The 2nd tilt tube is just a shock and does nothing as far as lifting and lowering.
If it's been tested and found to hold pressure on the tilt ram.
Then the only thing it can be is the pump's defective.
They sell for as little as 79$ or less.
IF???? you decide to work on it. Drain the system, use air to clean out the lines, clean the reservoir too.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Jerry. I appreciate your reply. I am not going to spend a cent on this anchor. I am going to call the pre owner and ask if he did any work on it. Will get back.
THANK GUYS

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What you do is: remove it and put the "anchor" in the back of the truck.
Then bring it by the house. In return I'll take you fishing or scuba diving!!