'89 FORCE power tilt....stuck in up position

57tbird

Cadet
It has been working fine, then suddenly will only go up. Now stuck in up position... I disconnected the blue & green wires at the unit and made direct connections to two new switches, wired directly to the battery, bypassing the rest of the wiring going to the relays in the engine compartment...Nothing happened...I then used jumper wires, grounded to a bolt on the pump,& jumped directly to the battery...Still nothing.....Does this mean the pump has died, or am I missing something ?

NYBo

Admiral
Two-wire motor? Connect the two wires directly to the battery. Reverse the connection to reverse direction. There WILL be sparks! If this doesn't work then the motor is probably toast.

EDIT: Forgot my manners. Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Last edited:

57tbird

Cadet
OK....THANKS......It is a two-wire motor....I'll try that in the morning......Tom

57tbird

Cadet
OK....THANKS......It is a two-wire motor....I'll try that in the morning......Tom

57tbird

Cadet

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Since both blue and green are defaulted to ground through the relays, If you grounded the blue and connected green directly to hot, the motor should have worked. If the motor did work but no movement was detected, the problem is inside the pump. There is a shuttle valve inside the pump. Frequently this shuttle will get stuck in the forward position--I suspect it is due to swelling of the center O-Ring. Sometimes, if you tilt all the way up and smack the trim piston a couple of good shots it will shift the shuttle just enough so that the unit will tilt and trim down. Alternatively, you can push down hard on the engine leg while operating the switch. ALTHOUGH there are pressure relief valves inside the pump and in the tilt cylinder, if you push too hard you will blow the pentagon cap off the trim cylinder (Don't ask how I know)

At any rate, these are temporary measures and even if you do get the unit to drop, it may function only once or only a couple of times before jamming again. The only real solution is to disassemble the pump and replace the shuttle O ring plus reset the pressure relief valves inside the pump

57tbird

Cadet
Thank you Frank.......I got it to go down the way you and Bob (NYBo) suggested.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Hi I had a similar problem a few years ago with my 1988. Found that the end of motor shaft was chewed up and spinning. If it makes a high whining sound it's spinning

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Just my 2 cents here. Ya don't say what motor 89, but I have a 88 125. Probably same pump. Had the same problem after out winter pickle. Motor up but no down? Switch and rest checked fine voltage. Simple took and switched the front lower pan relays. Now get down but no up! Bought 2 new, spare that worked a spare. Fixed! Just a thought.