1999 force lower unit removal

fjvalle

Recruit
Does anybody have an idea on how to remove the lower unit on a 1999 force 120 motor? I removed the 4 nuts including the one on the tail end underneath but still the lower unit is still stuck. Is there something else I need to loosen or remove? I even bought a manual on the motor but it doesn't explain much about removal just those nuts I already took out. I tried pounding it with a rubber mallet but still no luck. Trying to remove it so I can replace the water pump. Any help or answers would be appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There could be a nut under the cavitation plate.Maybe under the trim fin.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Don't know it this is the one you are talking about, but there is a nut or bolt under the anode. You remove the anode and remove the nut or bolt. Then, there usually are two pins to locate the lower unit so yes, you will need to tap it off using a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer.

fjvalle

Recruit
Still couldn't get the lower unit to drop I removed all the nuts including the one underneath the trim fin. I pounded and pounded with my mallet to break it loose and still it's stuck. I give up maybe it's best to bring it to a professional boat mechanic maybe they know something that I don't on how to remove the lower unit .

Alberturnusa

Recruit
I'm new about boating. Please me help or teach me how to remove the lower unit on a 1988 force 125 outboard because I want to check or replace the water pump or anything that needs to be replaced. Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
I'm new about boating. Please me help or teach me how to remove the lower unit on a 1988 force 125 outboard because I want to check or replace the water pump or anything that needs to be replaced. Thanks
You should really start your own topic, but there is a great write-up on changing the impeller in one of the stickies at the top of this forum section.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I have never seen it on the larger engines but it is possible that the drive shaft is "cold-welded" into the crankshaft. If water got past the upper seal. the crankshaft is regular steel and the splines will rust, locking in the drive shaft. The only solution is sweating and cursing. AN OLD Chrysler remedy, and I don't think it is safe but was mentioned in a service manual, is to remove all the bolts from the lower unit and start the engine. The vibration breaks free the rust. Quite honestly, I have never tried this.