1984 85HP Force Accidental Shift Pivot Pin Removal from Lower Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

magilla63

Recruit
Hello, I accidentally removed the pivot pin from the lower unit after changing my impeller and lower unit oil. When I accidentally removed it, I knew exactly what I did and screwed the pin back in immediately thinking everything may be OK since I didn't move the PROP or the shift linkage. Took the boat out the next day and everything seemed fine, except for the CARBS would not open at WOT (wide open throttle). Came back synchronized the CARBS and linkage but couldn’t reconnect my shift linkage because something was binding in the lower unit and the PROP doesn’t spin freely in neutral.

I don’t want to disassemble my lower unit if at all possible, and if I did have to disassemble I’m not sure what I will have to do once I have access to the pivot pin inside the lower unit. Does it connect to the shift arm linkage? If so, does it thread into it? Etc. I find a bunch of posts saying not to remove it, but nothing about what has to be done if the pin is accidentally removed. .

Jiggz

Captain
Need to check the shift linkage first by disconnected the upper rod from the lower rod (small pin with tiny cotter pin removed). With the lower shift rod, try shifting in neutral until you see the prop spin free. If you can do this, that means you only need to adjust your neutral position on the linkage. If it will not shift into neutral that means the shift coupler is probably not "riding" the pivot screw or pin.

Well, you do not have to disassemble the lower unit, not yet anyways. But you will need to dismount the LU, impeller housing and then raise gear housing cover (no need to remove all the way. Just raise it from the LU until it clears the lower shift rod and rotate out of the way). From here you will see the shift coupler and able to verify if it is properly mounted. You might have to drain the gear oil to see it. Make sure you have a diagram working with and taking pics along the way for reference in putting it back together.

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

To give you an idea what the coupler looks like inside and also how to access it without total disassembly of the LU.

Attachments

• photo204788.jpg
    photo204788.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

CyraxLionheart

Recruit
I wasn't able to actually remove the pivot pin, do you think I would be fine just screwing it back in? Or is it too late?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome!!!
You need to start your own thread.
If you unscrewed it and didn't remove it then just screw it back in.
Test it by shifting and spinning the prop.

Tokamax238

Recruit
Need to check the shift linkage first by disconnected the upper rod from the lower rod (small pin with tiny cotter pin removed). With the lower shift rod, try shifting in neutral until you see the prop spin free. If you can do this, that means you only need to adjust your neutral position on the linkage. If it will not shift into neutral that means the shift coupler is probably not "riding" the pivot screw or pin.

Well, you do not have to disassemble the lower unit, not yet anyways. But you will need to dismount the LU, impeller housing and then raise gear housing cover (no need to remove all the way. Just raise it from the LU until it clears the lower shift rod and rotate out of the way). From here you will see the shift coupler and able to verify if it is properly mounted. You might have to drain the gear oil to see it. Make sure you have a diagram working with and taking pics along the way for reference in putting it back together.
This really just saved me. Same thing happened when I was changing impeller on a 1988 mercury force 85 hp. Thanks a million!

Status
Not open for further replies.