Force 125 o/b, need help before maiden voyage

jjack010

Seaman
Picked up a 87 VIP Vision with a Force 125 o/b 2 weeks ago. It sat for 2 yrs. Previous owner stated he did add stabil to fuel before storage. Engine fired right up when I looked at it before purchase. Seemed to have a miss and fuel leaking from carb/carbs. I'm not boat savvy, but mechanically inclined with tools. Anyone have a list of items to check before going on my maiden voyage? Is there a downloadable owners and service manual? The engine appears to be clean and unmolested under the cover. Thanks in advance.

deerslayer303

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it were me, I would do the following, Compression test (a compression test can tell you ALOT about the health of an engine), New Spark Plugs, New water Pump impeller in the lower unit (REGARDLESS of what I was told I would replace it), change the lower unit gear oil, Fuel pump rebuilt, Carbs tore down and THROUGHLY cleaned and new gaskets, New fuel line and primer bulb. I would inspect ALL the wiring on the power head for brittle insulation and spots on the wires that may be rubbed through to bare wire. Then I would ad a touch of marine grease to all the linkages on the powerhead. And FRESH ethanol FREE gas with GOOD TCW3 two stroke oil mixed to 50:1. I prefer Mercury Quick Silver. And after all that I would run it a bit on the muffs and shift it in and out of Fwd and Rev. That is basically what I do when reviving an old out board that has sat for years.

jjack010

Seaman
Great info. I have a compression tester. I'm currently checking all the wiring at the instrument panel. I want to finish that and finish installing another deck. This may be a good opportunity to order parts for the revive.

deerslayer303

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good luck bringing the old girl back into service. Post up a pic or two. I know they all look the same but I like to see them anyway. Let us know how it goes.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yup do a compression test FIRST!!!!
No reason to spend money on an anchor!!
The fuel leaking from the carbs? Does it do it while it's in the upright position or just when you tilt it?
Leak when it's running?
More info??

jjack010

Seaman
Yeah, I'll check compression first. I don't have much more info on leaky carbs. I saw it run before I bought it and noticed leaky carbs. My first guess was it was coming from fuel bowl gasket. Pics to come also.

deerslayer303

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you probably already know this but I'm gonna mention it anyway, make sure the throttle is wide open when testing compression.

jjack010

Seaman
Absolutely, I have an unwanted neighbor. Thinking of dumping the old fuel there since they don't cut their grass anyway. Haha

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You need to remove all the plugs to do a comp test.
If you use the key to turn it over you'll need to ground out the packs so they don't go bad.
You don't need to open the throttle all the way it will work just fine without that.