96 Force 50 hard to start and get in gear - Timing Rod?

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 96 Force 50 I have had out a few times. It is pain in the rear to get started. I have to give it about half throttle to get it to fire. It runs like a champ above 3k. Under that it feels like it misses, the tach drops off 500rpm before the motor catches itself. And when i does idle it can be a pain to get into gear. Most of the time is rev it up and try to get into gear so it doesn't stall.

I took the carb apart and cleaned it out. Made sure the low speed circuit was clean. The only thing I can see is the threaded timing rod is bent. But at cranking speed WOT its timed at 32degrees. I forgot what is at when the throttle is at idle.

Any Ideas?

Jiggz

Captain
The motor is probably missing and it is being masked when at high rpm. Remove and inspect the spark plugs, usually a clean plug indicate misfiring or not firing at all. And the reason it is hard to get in gear is because the idle is probably too high.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry let me clarify. I can get it into gear, it just dies when it goes into gear.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
hmm, I put in a brand new set of plugs that might have a 2-3 hours on them and my idle is around 1000 out of gear when it will idle. I'll go pull the plugs and check them out again

Jiggz

Captain
Having 1000 RPM for idle doesn't necessarily mean it is not misfiring especially if you have to adjust the idle screw to make it to 1000 RPM. Now if you did not adjust the idle screw and the idle rpm is at 1000 RPM and the engine is not misfiring, it means your in gear idle rpm will be somewhere between 800~900 RPM. However, if you had to adjust the idle screw to make it to 1000 rpm, then it means the engine was misfiring to start with.

After checking the plugs and there seems to be no indication of misfiring, check the following"

1. Idle mixture screw is at least 1 turn out from slightly seated. It can be more but never less
2.Using a timing light or spark tester, make sure all plugs are firing constantly
3. Make sure you are using the correct plugs, NGK BUHW or Champions' L76V.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jiggz you are correct, I did adjust the screw to get the timing up. It does seems to miss fire at idle. I have messed with the low speed needle to no avail. I was thinking of pulling the flywheel to check for corrosion on the pickups but the threads in the holes for the puller are all but gone due to corrosion so dunno bout that. I will throw my light on the plugs to see how well its firing, If it is misfiring due to spark down low, what to look for?

Jerry, I will borrow a compression tester and let you guys know

Jiggz

Captain
First you need to identify if the misfiring is constant and if it is only on a certain cylinder. Then the next move is to find out if it's fuel or electrical related. If you suspect electrical, you can switch parts around to isolate which is causing it. As for the corroded flywheel bolt holes, the best solution is to re-tap them to the next bigger hole or you can use a three-armed bearing puller to pull it (no recommended unless it is the last resort).