How to adjust tiller grip throttle and control links '83 Seaking 9.9

CigarXO

Cadet
Folks, a newbie here - :confused:

BLUF: How/where can I find a set-up manual/instructions to re-install/adjust my grip throttle to the correct linkage/fuel control position?

I bought a '83 9.9hp Seaking with 14' Duracraft to refurb and have a fishing boat. http://youtu.be/B0b-S6A9NE8
The motor cranked 2d pull and ran in all gear & speeds before purchase although the seller cranked by manual/alternate pull cord on top claiming he thought original had been shortened. Turns out it was the well-known issue of detached recoil spring and I resecured, reassembled w/ spring tension and replaced pull cord.

Trying to crank, in "N" and "Start" with fuel,etc. - I wasn't achieving ignition. Frustrated, I started to diagnose by moving stuff - not realizing the motor/gearing was not designed to go into gear (Shift,Slow) or (R) when not running. I torqued/twisted too hard on the grip throttle to the "Slow" direction, broke the steering handle guide/retaining bearing (F487816) and misaligned my grip throttle indications from my actual engine linkage position.

I've disassembled grip throttle, rod, bearing (repaired til part on order arrives) and ready to reassemble. How do I align Grip throttle with correct linkage position, say "Start" with fuel control position?

Motor uncovered (1024x577).jpg

Thanks!
CigarXO

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
There is not too much adjustment. By moving the advance plate until it hits the high speed stop, put the engine in wide open throttle. Now loosen the ring on the shaft inside the engine or under the tiller handle (I forget) which holds the "gears" together and separate them. Put the tiller handle in fast and mesh the gears to the closest tooth. At least, this way, wide open throttle will be close to the fast mark. Start and shift may be shifted a bit though and there is really not much you can do because the gears are pinned to the shaft and the tiller handle is pinned also.

I have worked on a number of these engines and to an engine they all seem very difficult and fussy to start cold, using the built-in pull starter. It just doesn't spin the flywheel fast enough. If it were my engine, It is a little more trouble, but I would take off the cover and wrap a rope 3-4 turns around the ring on top of the flywheel. Starts first time -every time. Then replace the cover and go boating.

Last edited:

CigarXO

Cadet
Frank -
Thanks! Got it. Use wide-open throttle as reference point.
I thought I needed the "Start" position to properly engage/governor the ignition.

1. So, is the ignition only governored by the "N" position?

Agree on manual fly wheel use. The only two times I've seen it started, that's how it worked. I stumbled onto a video for the recoil repair and gave it a shot, but TBD if it worked.

2. The throttle and moving the control links seem pretty stubborn - which partially to blame for me breaking throttle retaining piece. Is there a way to lessen or just lube?

Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Don't set the mating gears too closely together or they will bind. The engine should or does have a neutral interlock so that 1 the pull starter will not work unless the engine is in neutral and 2. The ignition will only advance so far while the engine is in neutral. Forward, neutral, and reverse have a detent inside the lower unit so no matter what the handle says. it is the position of the linkage and lower unit that determines if neutral interlock is active. If you look in front of the black pinion gear, there should be a stainless horseshoe shaped plate that pivots. This only allows the pinion to rise into the flywheel teeth in neutral. On the other (fuel pump) side of the engine there should be a plastic block which rises into the magneto plate and only allows a certain amount of movement in neutral.

CigarXO

Cadet
The use of full throttle as reference worked and gave me a reference point to adjust from. Thanks!
I'm posting a new question now that I've taken the boat out to run. At mid-full forward throttle the engine is bucking?