Prop cone pin- where do I find the correct one?

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where can I go to find the proper prop cone pin for the cone on my 1983 85HP Forge outboard?
It seems to have a threaded collar.
The cone is listed as a Quicksilver F523094-2 Propeller Cone Nut for a Chrysler/Force 100-140HP. Please see pic.

Thanks,
AL

826374 that's the Mercury Quicksilver number. Must be made by hand at nights when there's a full moon which is why the pin costs $8. can not locate it on iboats so just do a internet search for the number.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If you cab find a couple of Chrysler or Force junkers, that pin is the same as the pivot pin in the gearcase.. Can't find one? Go to Lowes and buy a stainless 1/4 X20 screw threaded all the way to the head. Grind off all the threads except about 3/8 inch under the head.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If you cab find a couple of Chrysler or Force junkers, that pin is the same as the shift pivot pin in the gearcase of anything 50 HP and up.. Can't find one? Go to Lowes and buy a stainless 1/4 X20 screw threaded all the way to the head. Grind off all the threads except about 3/8 inch under the head.

OR--- If you are lazy, simply use a LONG stainless 3/16 cotter pin.

Understand that the plastic cone does not have thread inserts and if you tighten the screw too hard too many times, it will strip. Then, you either insert a thread repair or drill deeper and re=tap the cone.

Also understand that engine performance is NO DIFFERENT either with or without the cone. It simply looks better with it

Last edited:

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On Yeah, it's just about the looks...it just looks unfinished to me without one. Plus this is my chance to add some personalization by putting some "cone art" on my motor. I think I found some of the last cones for my motor that were still out there.

Frank, thanks for the suggestion about making one out of a stainless 1/4 x 20 bolt. If I can't find one, then I'll make a few and use some blue Lock-tite on the threads and hope that it stays put for a while. Thanks for all the info folks.

you can find them. I can not post the web site address as its not allowed but a yahoo search for 826374 marine will display a site that has them online.