Chrysler 20Hp model 202HB control box +cable problem

at0ny

Cadet
Hello,.

I have a chrysler 20HP outboard with control box and cables. I tried to fix the cable on de engine, but only de shiftcable works well, but the gas cable wont work 100%.. If i connect the gas cable on the control box. it only goes from neutral to forward + gas. But when i want to shift to Reverse+gas, The reverse shift wil work but the gas cable wont work in this position.

It now only have neutral, Forward + gas. I tried to play with de clamps in the control box, but still no 100% good working of the cable.

This is the standard cable connection: This way only the shift works, But in neutral the gas is 100%, when i put it in forward + gas. the gas cable is 0% (idle)
%2524_3.JPG

This is de mount i have now: Now works neurtral, forward + gas. But NO reverse+gas
IMG_20140725_152756.jpg

Some one who knows about this problem or how i can fix this? Pr can the problem be on the engine? I think the cables only can fit on the standard clamps?

I live in The Netherlands and because of the year of the engine, there are no boatshops who can help me.

Thank you,

Anthony

Attachments

• %2524_3.JPG
    %2524_3.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 1
  • %2524_3.JPG
    %2524_3.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
This a Chrysler shifter?
Unhook at the motor.
Then shift it into neutral.
Then rehook it at the motor adjusting the connections to fit.

at0ny

Cadet
This a Chrysler shifter?
Unhook at the motor.
Then shift it into neutral.
Then rehook it at the motor adjusting the connections to fit.

Hello,

Yes sorry forgot the picture, it is a older chrysler control box
IMG-20140709-WA0009.jpg

I already tried the controls unhooked, in neutral etc. But when i mount the gas cabel it works froms neutral to forward + gas. But from neutral to Reverse+gas it wont work.

In the normal way inside the control box shifting works but the gas cable works not 100%, in idle the cabel gives full gas, and with full gas de the cable goes idle 0%

Thats why i tried to change the clamp inside the control box of the gas cabel, after 2 hours stil no 100% good working controller. Only N , F + gas.

Maybe the control box cables need to switch?

thanks for helping,

Anthony

I

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
Please post good close pictures of the side of your engine where the cables are connected.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
In the second photo, the cables are attached wrong. In NEUTRAL the throttle cable lever should point to the front of the box. put the controls in neutral and rotate the lever 90 degrees. If I understand you correctly, that should solve your problem. The first photo is correct.

If that does not solve the problem check control cable length and routing. If the cables are too short or if they bend too sharply, there will be trouble with either shifting or throttle. There should be about a 2 foot loop of cable in the splash well. Additionally, that engine was remarkably poorly designed when it came to control cable attachment. It almost kinks the cable inside the engine shroud.

Hopefully you do know that pulling out the silver button when in neutral disables the shift so the engine can be set to fast idle/warm-up.

at0ny

Cadet
In the second photo, the cables are attached wrong. In NEUTRAL the throttle cable lever should point to the front of the box. put the controls in neutral and rotate the lever 90 degrees. If I understand you correctly, that should solve your problem. The first photo is correct.

If that does not solve the problem check control cable length and routing. If the cables are too short or if they bend too sharply, there will be trouble with either shifting or throttle. There should be about a 2 foot loop of cable in the splash well. Additionally, that engine was remarkably poorly designed when it came to control cable attachment. It almost kinks the cable inside the engine shroud.

Hopefully you do know that pulling out the silver button when in neutral disables the shift so the engine can be set to fast idle/warm-up.

Hello Frank,

De first foto was the original attachmend, i tried this but the gas cable, put the engine in idle instead of giving gas?. (when i push the trottle on the control box) the cable normaly have to go in, but it goes out (idle at enigine mount) Thats why i rotated the bracket inside the control box (second foto) in this setting

I will set the control box to the normal attachmend, and look if the cable dont have sharply curves etc. Will make a extra picture of the mouting brackets in the engine. This i can do later this week because my work week (6 days) has just starterd yesterday.

The cable length should be oke, The boat is about 15Ft and the cables around 12Ft. (this gives me good length from controlbox mount to engine.)

I do know that pulling the silver button only gives a woring trottle, tested this already. thank's for the info.

at0ny

Cadet
Please post good close pictures of the side of your engine where the cables are connected.

here are some pictures, in red is where the cables have to fit/mount.

Shift cable

$_84-17.JPG

Gas cable:
IMG-20140709-WA0007.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20140709-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20140709-WA0007.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20140709-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20140709-WA0007.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0

at0ny

Cadet
I have 1 seccond question, I have a splashwell mount for my telefex mono cable, Do i need an extra tiller arm for mij steering control? Or can i mount the end directly on the bracket of the motor?

I have this on the end of the teleflex mono cable:
kabel-eindstuk.jpg

thank you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The fitting will attach to the nose of the engine cowling right under the shift lever. For better operation, it would be better but not completely necessary to disconnect the tiller arm and the shift lever. These are simply adding drag to the controls.

at0ny

Cadet
The cables on the control box,

The cable under, is this the shift cable? And the richt cable the throttle cable? Correct me if im wrong, then the problem is solved i think :p But if its ok, i will look further what the problems are.

at0ny

Cadet
Been a year ofline, but i am back for this summer. Does anyone have a manual about the control box? How to set it up? The last time i did not change the cabels. Going to get the boat (glastron 145 spirit) out of the garage soon, so i can get this ready for this year summer.