1967 9.2hp Sea King

RTP55

Cadet
I just bought this motor at a garage sale. Got it running after putting new plugs and impeller in. It runs great when in neutral but when I put it into gear it won't turn hardly any RPMs. I took the prop off and put the plastic cap on and it would turn that fine. Put the prop back on and cranked it up out of the water and it worked great. Put it back in the water and the problem was still there. Does anyone know where I could get a new prop or what size prop it takes? I think at some point in time some one stuck the wrong prop on this motor.

RTP55

Cadet
Correction, it is a 1965. I found a little info on line about it, but nothing similar to my problem.

Nordin

Commander
Sorry if do not understand you right but does it stall when you put in gear in water? Improper (to lean) adjustment of the air/fuel mix screw and the engine will stall when put in gear in water.
First of all check the compression in the cylinders, if it is low the engine will run in driveway but not in water.
Clean the carb and check the fuelpump diaphragm. Change the diafragm anyway as it has been sitting for many years.
Set the air/fuel mix screw 1 1/8- 1 1/4 out from lightly seated.
If the engine is healthy it will start with this setting.

RTP55

Cadet
Nordin, you were right it was the cylinder. One if my points is a bit dirty and I don't think the spacing is correct. Does anyone know what the gap should be?

wickware

Lieutenant
“Nordin, you were right it was the cylinder.”
  1. Please explain, is this saying the compression was low? How much compression did it have?
  2. Are you experienced in dressing and setting the points?
Good Luck!!!

RTP55

Cadet
Cleaned the points and regapped. Unfortunately i broke the plastic on one point while tightening it back up up. At least i know the coils are in good shape as are the condensers. Now im trying to find a replacement point. Ive been looking for tune up kits or a motor thats shot that i could use for parts. No luck as of now, but ive only got $100 into it so...

Nordin

Commander
Check with Franz Marine, he might have points to this old engine. I think points to the old 6Hp (WestBend designed) also fit.

wickware

Lieutenant
Nordin and other Experienced Techs. I have seen a number of references to Napa Auto as a source for Points and Condensers. Have any of you experienced using the points not Referred to as original parts? I have a 1970 35 hp Chrysler that I purchased in 1984-85 and changed the points then (only with original points from a Marina to my knowledge).

My 70s Volts Wagons taught me to use original VW points/condensers for longer life, better performance over cost. The parts would fit but longer condenser leads contributed to points failing sooner than VW originals. Wrapping the longer condenser pigtail around close metal reduced the premature point’s failure. I never experimented with shortening the pigtail to match original’s length.

Thanks for any sharing.

RTP55

Cadet
I just had a mechanic recommended to me to just switch to an electronic ignition and it would be able to replace the points. That seems kind of odd to me anyone have any experience doing that?

wickware

Lieutenant
I added electronics kits to lawn mowers in the 70s-80s to eliminate points filing from worn crank seals/bushings (allowing crankcase blow-by). here was info listed related that a search might pull-up.

I chose to stay with my points that have never failed completely vs needing cleaning. Meaning I have always gotten home or had an indication of problems vs a sudden complete failure.

RTP55

Cadet
I have called everywhere. The word is that the part is made by one manufacturing company and they stopped production in May and don't start up again until September. I might just by a whole engine I saw on line for $50. Then it's a crap shoot to what parts I can salvage

RTP55

Cadet
I have found a bunch of 35 hp tune up kits. Anyone ever used the breaker points for 35 hp on a 9 hp motor?