Tiny Tach troubles

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm using a Tiny tach on my 125 Force. I've installed it as per instruction but I'm struggling to get a consistent read out. I've tried 1, 2 and 3 wraps in many different places on the #1 wire with no luck. It seem to read high #s most of the time. 1/2 throttle is showing 6krpms. At idle it jumps all over. Any tips from those who have been down this road will be appreciated.

Jiggz

Captain
I believe there is a mode setting where you have to set it for 2 cycle motors, i.e. 1 rev per power stroke. It seems your read out is based on a 4 cycle engine, thus doubling the rpm indication. It could be #1 plug is misfiring or not idling well. You can also try coiling the sensor wire on #2 or any of the other plug wires.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Jiggz, I believe I have the settings correct, I'll try other wires.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep it's right. I guess others are not having problems with them. I'll have to keep making adjustments.

r62ewa

Recruit
I just installed my Tiny Tach and when I first installed I only had it wrapped around the plug wire 3 times as per the instructions. My rpm at idle was inconsistent and would fluctuate 300-400 rpm. I then wrapped my wire 5-6 times around the spark plug wire and that fixed things immediately, I now have accurate readings. Try more wraps around the plug wire?

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the input. I will try more wraps. I also moved it to cylinder # 4 to get it away from the CD boxes. I'll let you know how it works as soon as the river clears up from last night deluge.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Problem solved. After moving the pickup to the 4th cylinder and going with 5 wraps I have a consistent rpm reading. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Attachments

• photo205091.jpg
    photo205091.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 0