Chrysler 65 HP Ignition information please?

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
I am able to pick up an old Chrysler 65 HP for free but it has been sitting for years outside but complete with cover. And the power head was rebuilt before being placed outside and unused. The boat it is on is now Junk lol.

So I thought that before I put in the work to pick up the motor to ask if it would be worth it to do so and see if I can get it going with a minimum amount of work or if it would be worth my time to do so?

Back to Ignition. I have read where there were problems with there ignition system. What can be done? And where is the best place for parts?

Thank You.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well, It really depends: Some years were made with the Magna-Power II ignition which was prone to failure. However, some ran forever. Even if you do get a bad Magna-power II ignition, it can easily be converted to Prestolite. SO: If compression is good and the price is right, you may consider buying it. It was probably the best engine Chrysler ever made. If you want to see a Prestolite ignition 60 running, google youtube Frank Acampora videos and look for mini racer with Chrysler 60 or something like that.

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
I am sorry but it says 65 HP Not a 60 HP. But since I know little to nothing about them they might be one in the same?

Nordin

Commander
This engine ( twin carb) was made from 1974 -76 as 60Hp in 1977 it was 55Hp and 65Hp. They had same powerheads but the 55Hp had a smaler gearhouse similar to the 45Hp (earlier 35, 45 and 55Hp singelcarb engine). The 65Hp had a lager gearhouse similar to the 3 and 4 cylinder engines.

Maybe Franz Marine has used and new ignition spareparts to the MAG II . The CD module are obslete from factory and CDI Electronics.

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
So from what I Gather if I was going to use a Chrysler the 65 HP would probably be one of the better ones to use?

I say this as after all of the reading I have done it has mentioned the gear case and that many were weak thus one had to be very careful of how fast they advanced the throttle as well as proper propeller selection? Plus of course the Ignition system.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yes, The gears used were similar to OMC 40 HP gears. If the engine is under-propped, and if you do a "hole shot" there is a good possibility that you will strip the gears.

I had a 60 that is why I told you about the video. The55, 60, and 65 were all the same design block with the same bore and stroke. For a two cylinder cross flow engine, they are very strong and will run up against any other engine in that horsepower range, so yes, if you are going to use a Chrysler engine, that would be the one to use.