1992 Force 150 compression minimum?

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, was wondering what the minimum compression on my 150 Force should be? 3 cylinders are 125 and 2 are 112. Is this ok? Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Sounds a little low. I would expect around 145. However, it could be your gauge Try another gauge if you can borrow one. If the engine has not been run recently, run it for a little while before checking compression.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I have twin 85's and if any of my cylinders(6) were 12# different I'd start looking for a reason.
You pull all the plugs when doing the test?
Let it spin up at least 5-6 times or more?
Like Frank suggested get a different gauge.
The comp with a good gauge is closer to 145-155

You can do a compression test without grounding the packs if you jump it at the solenoid.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I did the test, I pulled all the plugs first...one thing I did not do was warm the engine up a bit first. It runs great, but just did a random test . Might have to try another gauge. Thanks again guys.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No the test can be done on a hot or cold engine.
It can run good with different comp#s.
Some later model Forces actually were designed to have different comp on the top and bottom cyl. compared to the center holes.
After the test with a different gauge. Do a de-carb with Mercury's Powertune or BRP's Engine Cleaner.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I didn't mean to warm-up the engine. If it had been sitting a good long while I meant you should run it for about 15 minutes to get some fresh oil into the cylinders and aid the seal.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Funny you said top and bottom cylinder ..those were the ones with lower compression. Thanks for the replies.