OK 1988 125 Force gurus exhaust boot Q, and the "standpipe?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
In the coming link, part #25? Standpipe? Its NLA, but where does the hell it go? Shows it, but zero "where it goes" But, when I popped the mid cover, replace the split boot. Found this inside the boot!..?. WTF is this "tube" inside? Lower tube in the pick. Anyway fixed now, splash Thursday to the slip. Link part #1-25. Linkj

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1256_130.cfm

pic.

Jiggz

Captain
It is actually for the hot water (used for cooling) path in the exhaust. However, to re-install them it will require dismounting the power head or separating the power head from the middle leg. I have the same problem when I replaced my exhaust relief boot and found two (or three) of them. You can just leave them off and it will not affect anything since the hot or used water will flow down the exhaust anyways. However, if you ever decide to install them back, don't waste your time using the same stand pipes, instead use copper pipes , thread it on one end and thread it into the holes (tap the holes too). And to make sure they don't get knocked off loose again, use permanent locktite (red).

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
As said above, these standpipes actually raise the spent cooling water level inside the midleg so the exhaust downtube remains cooler. They plug into the same flange inside the midleg that the exhaust downtube abd gasket sits on. Often they are held in by a stainless spring and just as often, they fall out. They will not clog anything and unless you are intending to dismount the power head, just leave them alone

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
No Title

Posting did not let the pic through, but ya know what I meant anyway. I remember long ago seeing something about the "twin pipes". Motor has run fine last 20 years (in salt too!) Just stator upgrade. Motor running again, and after all these year of great use no way waste time yanking the PH. I got my money out of it, and don't do WOT much, just 3300 cruise, in 50° water too. I'll baby it for another 20 if I can! Thanks guys..(Plus its the dogs boat, as likes the cuddy "front seat" with the hatch open!)

Attachments

• photo204293.jpg
    photo204293.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0