1994 Force 50 hp is revving higher-does a higher pitch prop exist?

djsforce

Seaman
I swapped out my lower unit that was leaking water into the gear oil with a good used lower unit. It sounded different after the swap, and I realized it was revving slightly over 6,000 at full throttle. I had a 12 1/2 pitch prop that kept me in the 5,300 range with the original lower unit. I switched to a 13 1/2 pitch prop that I had, and it now runs at about 5,700 with two people with the new lower unit. Does a 14 1/2 pitch prop exist for these motors? The boat is a 1401 Bayliner. Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What year did the lower come from?
The 94 and 95 had different props.?
Pics of the drive?
This site sells the prop but not the one your looking for.
Try Michigan Propeller.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yes, a 14 1/2 pitch prop is made but it is difficult to find, especially for the older pin drive Force engines. IF you have the newer thru-prop exhaust, you can use a Mercury prop. You can try cupping the existing prop and that usually has a perceived pitch increase of between 1 and 2 pitches. Also try looking at Force 70 HP props. They are 10 inch and I believe the same spline count as the thru-hub Force 50s. You should be able to find up to 15 pitch if you are persistent.

djsforce

Seaman
The lower unit that is now on my 1994 Force 50 is from a 1991 Force 50. It is the older style with the sheer pin and cone for the prop, and is a non-thru exhaust. I will be on the lookout for 14 1/2. I haven't had much time on the water since the change, but it feels like the hole shot it better. No real change in the top speed. Thanks for the information.