1992 Force 40hp Water Pump Problem

FisherOwner

Cadet
Replaced impeller and when I pulled the lower unit off the water tube came with it. I put it all back together and it felt like the water tube went into the grommet but nothing held it there.

On the water, instant overheat. I pulled the thermostat housing and very little water appeared there. I have previously added the weep hole and nothing appeared to be coming out.

What makes the water tube stay in the housing and do I need to tear it down to repair it?

Also should there be a gasket between the water pump and the metal water pump plate?

At any rate, I don't think she is pumping water.

Jiggz

Captain
Item 59~62 is what you are interested in from the below diagram.

jreyn006

Cadet
Best make sure you bent the impeller fins the right way :) Output shaft should have turned clockwise before you put the leg back on? Just saying its easily overlooked and provides zero water plus it roaches your new impellor

FisherOwner

Cadet
Just did the same thing on mine. This is how to correct it. Use a small flashlight to look up from the lower end. There is three holes going to the top of the motor. The bottom is the drive shaft, the middle is the water pipe, and the top is an intake. If you look through the top hole almost parallel to the middle hole you will see the opening, take your time and find it. Then insert the water pipe into the middle hole while using a flashlight to guide it in. Press firmly.

Important step-
Take the thermostat housing apart and have some one blow (or use a compressor) to shoot air up the tube. A properly aligned tube will have air coming through the thermostat housing.

Then carefully put it together.

Good luck,