New boat owner

jgtorgerson

Recruit
Bought an 88 bayliner capri with the force 125 on it. Put it in the water for the first time this weekend. Was having a good time with the kids. Stop to float for lunch. Started her up gave it some gas and seem to be boring down and would not hardly go when I tried to give it more throttle. Any ideas where to start . Ran fine at low speeds

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Check the fuel delivery system.
Fuel pump diaphragm.
Do a compression spark test.
You adding oil to the gas? Sorry had to ask.A new customer had a 6 gal tank hooked up with NO oil.

Jiggz

Captain
Do you know for sure it is not misfiring? You can do a quick check by pulling the plug wire one at a time in a very quick fashion and listen for change in engine sound. If there is no change it is misfiring. If it is not misfiring, then most likely you have fuel related problems. The best thing to do is to install a clear fuel filter (G-2 from W-mart costs less than $5), prime to fill up the filter with fuel and then ran the motor. Watch the fuel filter while you try to go high speed. If it empties, then there is problem upstream of the filter, i,e, fuel pump, leaky fuel hose, faulty check valve on primer bulb or restricted tank vent or pick up tube. If it does not empty or stays full, then the problem is with the carbs.

Do you know for sure it is not misfiring? You can do a quick check by pulling the plug wire one at a time in a very quick fashion and listen for change in engine sound. If there is no change it is misfiring. If it is not misfiring, then most likely you have fuel related problems. The best thing to do is to install a clear fuel filter (G-2 from W-mart costs less than $5), prime to fill up the filter with fuel and then ran the motor. Watch the fuel filter while you try to go high speed. If it empties, then there is problem upstream of the filter, i,e, fuel pump, leaky fuel hose, faulty check valve on primer bulb or restricted tank vent or pick up tube. If it does not empty or stays full, then the problem is with the carbs.
Not meaning to hijack but I've read all over that all plugs need to be grounded or risk damaging the coils. What did I miss?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
a bad fuel pump diaphram will leak fuel into the crankcase and create a flooded condition.
Thats the first thing I would check, no - replace, as it is an often overlooked maintenance item, and should be done every 5 years or so.

Jiggz

Captain
Not meaning to hijack but I've read all over that all plugs need to be grounded or risk damaging the coils. What did I miss?

The key word is "could" or "risk" but never definite or absolute that it will damage your power pack. Hence, the word "quick" when troubleshooting. There is no quicker diagnosis for misfiring unless the troubleshooter knows the reference tune for the engine. Even with spark testers, it will be hard since the problem causing misfiring could not be electrical in nature, i.e. fuel related or mechanical like broken reed or lack of compression.