Have a lot of trouble....flywheel

Fatbs

Seaman
I found out my trouble was my stator and trying to replace it however, i can not get the flywheel to come off. I have a three hole puller however i have broken two different bolt from the pressure. I am on my way to get some stronger bolts...Is there something i am missing a trick to it or something?...HELP!!!

NYBo

Admiral
Use a good penetrating oil and let it soak. I like PB Blaster. Apply torque to the bolts slowly and evenly. Tapping LIGHTLY on the flywheel may help. Be patient.

Jiggz

Captain
If you continue to break bolts, re-tap the holes to next larger size which I believe is 5/16" or even 3/8". You might have to use heat and a lot of WD-40 to complete the job.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
if you have not remove it... I have become a little bit of an expert removing these famous flywheels... loosen nut until the end of the shaft. put penetrating oil at the bottom of the shaft. but the secret is the vibration! with the nut flush to the end of the shaft hit the shaft with a medium size one handed sledge.. this will crate the penetrating oil go deeper even better will break free any chance of rust seizure between the cone of the shaft were the penetrating oil will not get too.

otherwise you will always be stripping your treads...

Jiggz

Captain
If you need to tap to 5/16 bolt, use a 17/64 drill bill to enlarge the hole. For 3/8" use a 5/16 drill bit for the hole. Be conservative and go only on the next larger bolt size. And make sure you use SAE 5 or above grade bolts.

Fatbs

Seaman
day 3 i have had to go up to 3/8 bolts (screwed up 5/16) I have a lot of pressure ion the three bolted puller right now. I have hit, beat, and cussed the center bolt. Drowned it in PB old. Pried sightly with a crow bar heated it with a torch and still NOTHING!!!!! I am planning on leaving the pressure on and repeating the over throughout the day...

Jiggz

Captain
Patience and time are on your side. Leave it under pressure and soaked in penetrating oil. The following day, get a propane torch and heat it full blast on the flywheel center while avoiding the shaft as much as possible (use heat shield if you have some). If you can get another person to lightly tap continuously on the shaft's end (with nut to avoid damaging the shaft) while heating the flywheel will also help. Remember, there is probably no other way to pull the flywheel (without damaging it) except this way.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
If you hit the center bolt of the puller hard enough, and you have it tightened down hard enough, it'll pop the flywheel off. If the arms of your puller aren't really rigid enough, then it may take a little more effort. You want to hit the center bolt hard enough to jarr the flywheel off. Hit it like you're trying to drive it into the crankshaft. Not little baby taps, whack it like you mean it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I use a BIG 3 jaw puller.
The smaller pullers used on the 3 center screws sometimes work sometimes no.
Install the puller, make sure the nut is loosened but not taken off,tighten the main bolt with an impact and tighten down till it seems it's gonna break.
Then using a 3 pound hammer hit the bolt and hope it comes off.

I had one that wouldn't come off and I ended taking off in chunks.
Turns out the block was junk anyway.
Oh yea wear gloves.

Jiggz

Captain
Heat it up real good! High heat from a propane torch. Not heat gun and certainly not from from a lighter!

Fatbs

Seaman
no wonder i have been burning my fingers....lol
Yes i have a torch now and will be heating it up this afternoon.

Jiggz

Captain
Try putting a shield on the shaft so it doesn't heat up at the same time as the flywheel. The secret is to heat the flywheel and expand before the shaft does.

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just went through this, get grade 8 bolts, load the puller, apply some heat, and give it a good blow with a dead blow or heavy sledge hammer near the crank on the fly wheel. I fought mine for about 2-3 hours before it finally jumped off. good luck, may the Force be with you!