Looking for carbs for my 125hp force 1985 plus carb question

Hey guys looking for someone that's has for sale: top and bottom complete carburetors for a 1985 force outboard 125hp model number 1258x5a Had mine rebuilt and my mechanic says the seats in my top carb isn't good anymore and seats can't be replaced on these motors and my best bet was to find a used set of complete carbs on eBay or somewhere QUESTION FOR ANYONE THAT KNOWS: I found on eBay a set of carbs for a 1987 force 125hp.. I looked it up on boats.net and the item number for my engine model carbs (both the same; top and bottom) match the item number for the 1987 BOTTOM carb. But the top one was a different item number. So my question is would I be able to put the bottom carb from the 1987 onto the top on my 1985 cause that's really the only one I need or is it something that bottom has to go on bottom and top has to go on top which would suck because only the bottoms match up

Jiggz

Captain
Both carbs are identical except the bottom has a T-style fuel connector while the top has an elbow type thus having different part numbers. You can use the one on *bay as long as you keep and switch the fuel connector from the old carb.

So do you think I'd be better off switching out both because the one I buying on 3bay is a complete set top mad bottom . Or do you think I should just switch out the top old one for the bottom new one

Jiggz

Captain
I am a very tight end person when spending my hard earned $$$ so I will have to change them one at a time. There is absolutely no reason to replace a perfectly working component which in turn could result in complication rather than completion.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
GO to another mechanic who knows what he is talking about! The seats in your carbs are press-in units and can certainly be replaced. You remove the floats and needles. Then you screw in an appropriate sized lag bolt or self tapping screw and finally pull out the seat. Press in the new seats and---Bob's your uncle.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The carbs are put on as a SET.
The jets are the same in a SET.
If you replace 1 carb make sure the jets are the same.
They need to match.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The only difference between bottom and top carbs is the fuel inlet nipple and the black roller. Because of these two minor changes, the carb gets a different number. SO: If you remove the black roller (not even necessary but why have an extra part?) and swap the tee inlet for a 90 degree nipple, you can use the bottom carb on top.