1987 Force 85 hp runs great at first then half speed?

Nomad98

Cadet
Hi, I am new to the forum and also new to boat engines and repair. I got a boat with a Force 85 hp for almost free and put new spark plugs into it changed the oil and did some general clean up. Took it out for the first time and it ran great the first ten minutes. Then I slowed down and we were going to change drivers, the engine stalled... It started up right away but would never get up to speed or plane out. The engine ran smoothly throughout but just couldn't get up to speed after the first initial run and would periodically stall, then start right up. I have read a number of forum posts online and decided to install a new fuel pump diaphragm (just ordered but not installed). I also checked to see if the gas tank vent was clogged and it isn't (was reading a lot about fuel delivery issues). My neighbor is a mechanically knowledgable and is helping me with the engine. He the said he thinks it's maybe points and condenser or coil pack. I am wondering if anyone on the forum can give me some insight into this or a similar condition before I purchase a bunch of parts. The engine is a Force 85 hp 1987 serial #856X7A Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

foodfisher

Captain
Pinpoint the problem before buying parts. More details would spur more help. Compression numbers? RPMs? Fuel filters? Any bit of info at all

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
I find that a lot of these problems are caused from electrical issues, bad connections being the main culpurit, also wires being crimped or shorted

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
First off your neighbor doesn't know what he's working on so be careful.
NO point's or condensers. The coils don't usually go bad.
This might help?
Force

Prestolite ADI Ignitions 1984-1992
General

1. Check for broken wires and terminals, especially inside the plastic plug-in connectors. We recommend that you remove the pins from the connectors and visually inspect them.
  2. Check the flywheel for a broken or loose magnet.
  3. Disconnect the kill wires from the CD and connect a DC voltmeter between the kill wires and engine ground, turn the ignition switch on and off several times. If, at any time, you see voltage appearing on the meter, there is a problem in the harness or ignition switch. At NO TIME SHOULD YOU SEE BATTERY VOLTAGE ON A KILL CIRCUIT.
  4. Visually inspect stator for burned or discolored areas. If found, replace the stator. If the areas are on the battery charge windings, it indicated a possible problem with the rectifier.
IF NO FIRE ON ANY CYLINDER:
  1. Disconnect kill wire AT THE PACK.
  2. Check for broken or bare wires on the unit, stator and trigger.
  3. Measure DVA voltage of the stator between the output wire sets. With everything connected, readings should be approximately 180 volts or more. Resistance readings between the stator wire sets range from 680 - 800 ohms.
  4. Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.
NO FIRE OR INTERMITTENT ON ONE CYLINDER:
  1. Check stator and trigger resistance, trigger wire sets read approximately 50 ohms between the wire sets (DVA-5V or more), stator reads 680-800 ohms, DVA 180V or more from blue to yellow.
  2. If readings are good, disconnect kill wire from one pack. If the dead cylinder starts firing, the problem is likely the blocking diode in the other pack.
NO FIRE ON TWO CYLINDERS:
  • If two cylinders from the same CD unit will not fire, the problem is usually in the stator. Test per above.
ENGINE WILL NOT KILL:
  • Check kill circuit in the pack by using a jumper wire connected to the kill wire coming out of the pack and shorting it to ground. If this kills the pack, the kill circuit in the harness or on the boat is bad, possibly the ignition switch.
COILS ONLY FIRE WITH THE SPARK PLUGS OUT:
  • Check for dragging starter or low battery causing slow cranking speed. DVA test stator and trigger.
HIGH SPEED MISS:
  1. DVA check stator voltage to each pack at high speed. If it exceeds 400 volts, replace the pack.
  2. Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires smoothly, replace the rectifier.
Two Cylinder Engines with Combination CD Module with Built-in Ignition Coils
(1984-1988)

1. Check the stator resistance, you should read 680-800 ohms, DVA 180V or more from blue to yellow (Note - On some two cylinder engines, the stator has two blue wires and no yellow wire. The stator will read from blue to blue). All stator wires should read open to engine ground.
  2. Check the trigger resistance, trigger wire sets read approximately 50 ohms between the wire sets (DVA-5V or more), and open to engine ground.
  3. If readings are good, disconnect kill wire from one pack. If the dead cylinder starts firing, the problem is likely the blocking diode in the other pack
ENGINE WILL NOT KILL:
  • Check kill circuit in the pack by using a jumper wire connected to the kill wire coming out of the pack and shorting it to ground. If this kills the pack, the kill circuit in the harness or on the boat is bad, or possibly the ignition switch.
Three and Four Cylinder Engines Using Separate Switch Boxes and Ignition Coils
IF NO FIRE ON ANY CYLINDER:
  1. Disconnect kill wire AT THE PACK.
  2. Check for broken or bare wires on the unit, stator and trigger.
  3. Measure DVA voltage of the stator between the output wire sets. With everything connected, reading s should be approximately 180 volts or more. Resistance readings between the stator wire sets range from 680 - 800 ohms.
  4. Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.
  5. Three and Four Cylinder Engines Using Separate Switch Boxes and Ignition Coils (Continued)
    1. Check stator and trigger resistance, trigger wire sets read approximately 50 ohms between the wire sets (DVA-4V or more), stator reads 680-800 ohms (factory) and 200- 300 (CDI/RAPAIR) DVA 180V or more from blue to yellow.
    2. If readings are good, disconnect kill wire from one pack. If the dead cylinder starts firing, the problem is likely the blocking diode in the other pack.
    NO FIRE ON TWO CYLINDERS:
    • If two cylinders from the same CD unit will not fire, the problem is usually in the stator. Test per above.
    ENGINE WILL NOT KILL:
    • Check kill circuit in the pack by using a jumper wire connected to the kill wire coming out of the pack and shorting it to ground. If this kills the pack, the kill circuit in the harness or on the boat is bad, possibly the ignition switch.
    COILS ONLY FIRE WiTH THE SPARK PLUGS OUT:
    • Check for dragging starter or low battery causing slow cranking speed. DVA test stator and trigger.
    HIGH SPEED MISS:
    1. DVA check stator voltage to each pack at high speed. If it exceeds 400 volts, replace the pack.
    2. Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the recfifier.
Page 5 - Index - Page 7