1985 Force 85 hp starts but dies when given full throttle

JMpollard

Recruit
My 85' Force 85hp starts fine,but bogs down and dies when given full throttle. I already replaced plugs and cleaned carbs. This didn't start to happen until I replaced primer bulb with a universal. The flow valve on the tank is wide open and I checked and cleaned fuel filter. Should I replace fuel lines as well? Would a bad coil cause this?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
it sounds like fuel issue to me (not getting enough) - but if the hoses are hard you should replace them. did you check the direction on the primer bulb - it goes one direction (has arrow) or could be defective. You can also try some carb cleaner while running it on the hose and see if that helps too.

If you are thinking a coil you can get a 10.00 spark tester at autozone and then put it on each of the 3 spark plugs leads one at a time and then see if you get spark on all 3 wires. You ground the tester to the engine block if you get the cheaper version like I got. Stop the engine after each test so you don't do any damage and swap wires to test, leave the wires you are not testing connected to the plugs.

Jiggz

Captain
Install a clear fuel filter between the fuel pump outlet and the carbs inlet. You can just use the G2 from W-mart which costs less than $5. This is more of a troubleshooting aid and as a secondary filter. It should stay full at all times or at least 3/4 full at WOT speed. If not, then the problem is before the filter, i.e. fuel pump, leaky fuel hoses, leaky primer bulb or defective check valve on primer bulb or restricted pick up tube. If it stays full, then you have carb problem. Make sure the motor is not misfiring which means it can be an electrical problem assuming the fuel filter stays full.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like fuel pump issues. I had that problem. I bypassed fuel pump and installed a inline fuel pump from oreilys and run it on a toggle switch. So I can turn it on and off and never flood the motor. I have about 150 hrs on the motor like that so far.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like fuel pump issues. I had that problem. I bypassed fuel pump and installed a inline fuel pump from oreilys and run it on a toggle switch. So I can turn it on and off and never flood the motor. I have about 150 hrs on the motor like that so far...