1989 Force 85 HP runs great for a while, then #2 carb spitting

irishrover

Cadet
Hi, could use some help. I have a 1988 glastron z-16 with a 1989 Force 85 HP (858F9B) outboard motor. My problem is carb #2 spitting out the overflow at low and medium speed (engine bogs when this happens, as expected). - compression test 115psi all three cylinders - spark and firing all three plugs - rebuilt all three carbs, boat ran great for a week. - boat ran out of gas and the trouble started (carbs spitting) - emptied and cleaned gas tank. fresh gas. ran sea foam through the system. Took apart all three carbs and cleaned ( fully took apart, carb cleaner into every hole, soaked carb body in gas, compressed air to dry, reassembled, ran great for a day, # 2 carb spitting again. - Since it ran great for the day (6 hours) I think reed valves and fuel pump are good. - I keep coming back to needle and seat and maybe float. Will buy a new needle and seat and put float in water and watch for bubbles. Cant buy a new float at boats.net or marinengine.com as it is unavailable. - what else am i missing? I started knowing nothing and now seem to be just about dangerous but still not successful! any help would be appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard,Rover. Please refresh your page. 5 postings of the same issue so far.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your float is F10135, Sierra P/N is 18-7205. I can't find it here. Call customer Support at 1-800-869-1686, see if they can help.

Jiggz

Captain
If #2 carb continues to spit fuel at low and medium speed, try inspecting the reeds which are located behind the intake adapter where the carb is mounted.

irishrover

Cadet
I ordered new needle and seat ( I had previously replaced the needle with the rebuild kit but not the seat). Ordered new reed petals and will change out at same time. Will check out float for leak and repost results. Anything else I should be checking? Thanks for the advice!

irishrover

Cadet
Float on number 2 carb full of gas. Pinhole leak. Replaced with a new float. Expecting good things :)

Jiggz

Captain
Usually, if the float doesn't rise, the fuel will vent out of the carb's vent hole located on the side of the carb. However, if the pump continues to operate then it is possible it will start flooding and spitting.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Probably doesn't need reeds.
Install the new float.

Unless the carbs really corroded?? You probably don't need to install new needles(most don't fit anyway).
Most time the carbs need a good cleaning.
I start with the purple power soap from Wally's and then Dawn detergent and water..
Then blow dry after a good scrub

irishrover

Cadet
thanks. The float fixed the overflowing carb problem. I did replace the reeds on #2 carb but they really looked fine. Once the motor starts, it is running really well. I'm now having trouble starting the cold engine. cranks fine, wont catch. a little starter fluid and it fires up and runs great. turn it off when warm, fires right back up. When I pulled the intake manifold, I didn't have new gaskets so I just put it back together. I'm wondering if there is a small leak that is affecting the cold start? I have the gaskets now and was going to put them in to see if that would help. Again, don't know if it is related but my compression tests on all three cylinders dropped about 5 psi (from 116psi to 111 psi).

irishrover

Cadet
I will try correct starting procedure, control in fast idle with button pushed in and key pushed in and held to engage choke (after 5-6 primer pumps). Previous to pulling the intake manifold to replace reed plates, the engine cold started with the control in the neutral position (without button pushed/fast idle, but with choke engaged). Another question. I installed a clear fuel filter where previously there was none. I put it between the primer bulb and the fuel pump. I now read a few posts that talked about putting it between the fuel pump and the carburators. Have a just cost myself a new fuel line (primer bulb to fuel pump) or is it ok where it is? Thanks in advance.

Jiggz

Captain
It is OK where it is at but it doesn't do you any good. The only reason you wanted an additional fuel filter (there is a primary filter on the fuel pump itself) between the fuel pump and the carbs is more for troubleshooting purposes. Personally, to do things correctly, I'll replace the fuel hose and move the fuel filter as described.

irishrover

Cadet
compression test showed all three cylinders down 5 psi from test a month ago. was 116 psi all three cylinders. now 111 109 111. thinking i need to pull the intake manifold and install the new sets of gaskets that just came in. (from an earlier post, i replaced the reed plates on number #2 but didnt have new gaskets yet, put it back together and have had problems starting ever since) tried the "proper " starting procedure to no avail. one quick shot of starter fluid and it fired right up. will look at butterflys when choke is engaged to make sure fully closed.

irishrover

Cadet
Alas, proven again to be a lowly cadet. visual inspection would be the first rule. Screw had come loose to choke synchronization on the top carb. Push key in, choke engages but no butterfly's move because top screw is loose and just slides next to sync bar. Tighten screw....... Motor fires up like a champ. We are running again. Thank you all!