Engine in oil or separate tank?

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
I read somewhere that some engines have a separate tank for their oil. I have an early 90's (I believe) 90HP Force outboard. Is there a separate tank or do I just mix it in with the fuel?
Thanks

Jiggz

Captain
Your motor requires pre-mixed fuel and oil in the fuel tank with a 50:1 ratio. It is recommended it will be pre-mixed before pouring it into the fuel tank or if you only use an external tank then you can put in the oil followed by the fuel and shaking it up to mix it. At the minimum, if you have an onboard tank, to put in the oil first and then followed by the fuel.

As for those motors with separate oil tank, those are the so called direct oil injected motors which have a separate tank for oil and fuel and directly injects the pre-measured oil into the cylinder to mix with the fuel.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Mixing oil with the gas at 50 to 1 ratio will never hurt the engine--even if it did have oil injection. HOWEVER: You must be careful; Mercury DID make some Force engines with an oil pump and oil injection. It was located at the bottom of the block and driven off the crankshaft. I believe these were only used on the jet boats though. If yours is a straight outboard the chances are excellent that you need to mix one pint TWC-3 oil with six gallons of gasoline.