Force 125 #2 cylinder low compression (replaced piston and rings...still low)????????

No Title

Ohhh and its a 1989 Force 125hp on a bayliner capri... the boats in nice shape and man it is sooooo enjoyable n i dont beat on it i just want to put around and dock here and there without sounding like a tin can being beat with a large metal sign post.

Attachments

• photo203210.jpg
    photo203210.jpg
    988 bytes · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
At the current measurement of 3.341 inch, You are already at either an 020 overbore worn larger or a very tight .030 overbore. In either case, at that measurement, you do not have much choice: Either you can try a final bore/hone to 3.3425 or you can go .040 over stock for a final bore of 3.3525 which I really don't recommend because cylinder wall thickness becomes too thin. Port webs don't cool adequately and can warp into the cylinder.

The other last option is to have that cylinder re-sleeved. That takes special tools to bore and insert, ports must be cut into it, and the liner alone costs about 100 bucks--not really a cost effective option.

If you can not clean up the cylinder with a light overbore, look around for another block. Let a good machinist tell you if it is do-able.

Listen to me! I am quoting you actual numbers on bore. I occasionally have moments of clarity and every once in a while give a good answer.

If you opt to look for another block, since the 125 is a 2.875 stroke, the crank will not work in a 120 HP block because it will change the port timing and pistons will not fit either. Everything else is swappable. SO: If you find a 120 short block (block with crank and pistons) you can swap it onto your leg and you most likely will be happier. The 120 is a better engine.

Aftermarket oversized pistons are balanced to factory weight so there is no unbalanced condition if you replace one. The engine will never notice it and will probably last a good long time--if you do it correctly.

Last edited:
i am in the process of trying to get the cylinder as close as possible to 3.342 as I can. so far so good i haven't spent to much time on it and I already have the piston on order see if it fits. who knows gotta stay cheap right now... i can def do it properly this winter

I have it very close after about 14 hours of work. 3.343 top to bottom. I used an old aamco hone from the 60s reassemble Monday

bore gauge measured 3.342-3.344 i threw the piston in and it fired right up sounds good ran lake once and not one issue. Cleaned it out really well. lots of oil lots of time and lots of fragmented materials removed. Im happy with the fix hoping it lasts the summer and we can get a new block on that bad boy. Thanks all. Happy cruising.

bore gauge measured 3.342-3.344 i threw the piston in and it fired right up sounds good ran lake once and not one issue. Cleaned it out really well. lots of oil lots of time and lots of fragmented materials removed. I'm happy with the fix hoping it lasts the summer and we can get a new block on that bad boy. Thanks all. Happy cruising.