1994 Force 15hp steering way too stiff - How to remove transom clamp/tilt assembly

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Both hands needed to turn, and I can hear it squeaking, at the top end - Removed damper set screw (threads full of oxidized stuff), no help - greased fitting, no help - sprayed upper and lower joints, and soaked the damper screw hole with the motor turned upside down (PB Blaster & WD-40), no help - I want to remove the transom clamp/tilt assembly from the steering shaft, so I can see what is going on in there. Have pulled the lower clamp, and the lower unit, the unit doesn't slide down - Ideas?? Yikes!

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK - A heads up, for anyone that has the same problem. Obviously, dirt, sand, dust, dried grease, etc. can get to the inside of the transom/tilt assembly shaft hole, where it slides over the stationary inner shaft. So, here is what I did to remove the transom clamp, unit. After doing all in the above post, I put WD-40, on the shaft. Now, besides the hole, for the damper screw, there is a hole that leads to the damper screw hole, behind the tilt unit. If you have the motor hanging upside down, you can take a flashlight, and see the hole. I sprayed (with the little red nozzle/tube) WD in there and let it sit, for a while. I then began turning the motor back, and forth, while pushing down on it. Pretty soon, it began to get easier, and I noticed the motor was moving downward. You have to keep spraying, and turning, and slowly it will come out. The shaft was pretty grooved up, so I took fine emery, and polished it back up. I polished sideways, not up and down the shaft. I cleaned the grease, and junk out of the inside of the shaft hole, in the tilt unit, and there are some scores in it. To reduce them, I will hone it out (enough to knock off any edges) , with some fine emery, in a fair sized drill bit, and then clean it up with fine steel wool, and reassemble.

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reassembled unit, and it works like brand new. Just put plenty of grease on all of the parts, and pump up the grease fitting when you get it all assembled. THere is a design flaw that does not allow grease to get to the upper portion of the shaft, so grease the daylights out of that, on assembly, and for those of you that have "stiff steering syndrome" on these motors: if the steering damper screw doesn't do it... you may want to follow my lead.

NOTE: I replaced the damper set screw, nut, and washer, on the steering damper, with new stainless ones (1/4" x 1 1/2" coarse thd, allen head, small flat washer, square nut)