85 hp Chrysler force model 856x3l with no spark

tmroper

Cadet
I have a 85 hp chrysler force model 856x3l that has no spark and would appreciate help diagnosing.

I have put a used trigger on with no improvement and checrked the switch. I have also disconnected the white wire with no improvement. I do not have a dva meter but did check resistance on trigger and stator they both tested well.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Are you getting spark at any plug? I have had the eye go in the distributor before, but I don't think that was a common problem. Do you know if your coil is ok? Do you know if you cdi is ok? Are you getting around 14 - 18 volts from your rectifier/regulator? Do you own a manual?

MickLovin

Are you getting spark at any plug? I have had the eye go in the distributor before, but I don't think that was a common problem. Do you know if your coil is ok? Do you know if you cdi is ok? Are you getting around 14 - 18 volts from your rectifier/regulator? Do you own a manual to check your specs of the motor?

tmroper

Cadet
Thanks for responding mick.

I am not getting spark on any of the plugs. This motor doesnt have adistributor but it does have a trigger which i replaced. I will test the coil

tmroper

Cadet
I am getting 12.7 volts on each of the hot on the rectifier. How do I test the coil? I was thinking since there wasnt spark on any of the three cylinders it wasnt a coil but maybe that is common for all three to go at the same time.

MickLovin

Oh ok, do you have separate coils to each cylinder? Sorry my bad, you would have to have the motor running to have 14 - 18 volts from your rectifier/regulator.
Hopefully Frank Acampora may chime in with this one, or private message him, my Chryslers were the older style with one coil and a dizzy.

tmroper

Cadet
Finally got the parts to build my peak voltage meter these are the results I found.

Stator
blue to yellow wire 776 ohms, 183 volts should be 680-850 ohms, 180 volts
blue to ground wire 1594 ohms, 180 volts should be open (ohms), 180 volts
yellow to ground wire 1 ohm, 12.1 volts should be open (ohms), 180 volts

trigger
orange to green wire (2 pair) 66& 51 ohms , 1& 0.1 volts should be 45-55 ohms, 0.5 volts
red to white/green wire 51 ohms, 0 volts should be 45-55 ohms, 0.5 volts

Hopefully how I wrote this out makes sense.

Thanks for all the help

tmroper

Cadet
Thanks thats what I was thinking. I will find out as soon as the stator comes in.