1994 50 hp Force, not pumping enough cooling water

djsforce

Seaman
At the end of last year, I did many of the gaskets on the powerhead, including where the powerhead mounts on the plate. Motor ran great after the new gaskets, but it took a long while before cooling water came out the back before I put it into storage. And the lower unit was milky. Start up at the beginning of the season, it also took a long time before water started spitting out the back holes. I knew it had been a few years since I last replaced the water impeller. I found a used lower unit, put on new water pump impellor and this weekend I attempted to swap. When I reinstalled my good used lower unit the plastic piece that funnels the water from the water pump to the copper tube was still stuck on it from the other lower unit. Therefore I pushed it together with two of those plastic pieces. It ran the best it's ever run in the 8 years I've owned the boat……until the overheat alarm came on. I removed the lower unit again, and that is when I discovered I had put the lower unit on with both the plastic pieces. I reinstalled the lower unit with one of the plastic pieces. It only ran for a few minutes and the alarm came on a again. Any suggestions on getting a better fit to the water pump? Is it possible I bent the copper tube? Since I may have pushed the copper tube up too far, can I pull on it to bring it further down? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

djsforce

Seaman
Because I had poor water flow with the original lower unit I'm also thinking I may have caused a restriction in flow when I worked on the powerhead? I replaced the exhaust gasket, head gasket and the powerhead to plate gasket. Which one do you think is most likely to cause a water flow problem?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
More info??
On the hose or in a bucket?
The 50 needs a different muff.
The lower unit needs to be deep in a bucket at least 2-4 inches over the cavitation plate.

djsforce

Seaman
After the work I did last year, it was in a garbage can filled to the brim. When I switched the lower unit, and when the overheat alarm went off it this year, it was in clear cool lake water. Traditionally I get a tow near the end of the season, this year it was at the beginning when the alarm went off. Next time I'm at the lake, I'm thinking I'll pull the copper tube down as far as it will go and I bought some silicone to put around the copper tube so I might get a better seal when it goes into the water pump? I was also thinking when I remove the lower unit again, I'll try pushing water through it to see if there is resistance? If I push water through the copper tube, should it pour out the holes in the lower leg or dribble out? Any advice it appreciated!

djsforce

Seaman
After the work I did last year, it was in a garbage can filled to the brim. When I switched the lower unit, and when the overheat alarm went off it this year, it was in clear cool lake water. Traditionally I get a tow near the end of the season, this year it was at the beginning when the alarm went off. Next time I'm at the lake, I'm thinking I'll pull the copper tube down as far as it will go and I bought some silicone to put around the copper tube so I might get a better seal when it goes into the water pump? I was also thinking when I remove the lower unit again, I'll try pushing water through it to see if there is resistance? If I push water through the copper tube, should it pour out the holes in the lower leg or dribble out? Any advice it appreciated!

djsforce

Seaman
So I got my chance to work on it this past weekend, and was successful! I followed the advice from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beykqxzwfxM
I also tried to pull the copper pipe from the gear housing down, but it was firmly in place. The copper pipe didn't look bent, but when I placed the lower unit to mate with the copper pipe, in my opinion it wasn't going far enough into the yellow plastic of the water pump. So from an extra water pump I had, I took the yellow plastic piece off, used a dremel to grind an angle to the edge of it and added it to the copper pipe in the housing. Essentially adding an extension and a better seal where the copper pipe enters the water pump. It's now pumping water better than ever. Just closing the loop if anyone else experiences this problem.