1996 Force 75 hp w/ quicksilver remote control box THROTTLE cable sticking?

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The problem:
1996 Force 75 hp with a quicksilver remote control box. Had it in forward going about 48 rpms and noticed it was difficult to power down but it did. Later that day I could return the remote control to N(neutral) but the engine remained in very HIGH idle. When I tried to go inot F(forward) or R(reverse) the gears grinded but it did engage. I did not like the grinding sound so I cut engine and coasted back to dock, luckily.

At dock, set the quicksilver remote control box(top mount) back to N(neutral) then started the engine and at this start the engine REMAINED in very high idle, almost like the throttle is stuck in the high idle range. I think the shift(shifter cable) is working but maybe the throttle cable needs either lubricating or replaced.

Is there a way to lubricate the THROTTLE CABLE to try and get it through the season? I have read if I replace the THROTTLE CABLE I should go ahead and replace the SHIFT CABLE at the same time. Actually, this is the original quicksilver top mount control box on our 1996 Brunswick 24' pontoon boat and has never been replaced before so maybe just replace the whole set-up? About $350 for the box and cables, I think.

Sure hope I can lubricate so we can use through the rest of our Family vacation week.
tongue.png

Up front THANKS for any ideas. This is a great forum resource-it helped us replace the tilt/trim piston a few years back! Now that was a job!

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After further review and spraying crc all over the cables they(the cabling) seem to be engaging fairly smoothly. Seems the throttle on the engine is kinda stuck so that the engine remains in a high RPM state even when the remote control is returned to N(neutral).

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check it.
The problem was evidently the casing or housing on the stator(??spelling?) melted(a red glob) and wedged in between the throttle linkage under the cowel? covering blocking the throttle linkage. The melted piece hardened perfectly to fit right there. Kinda difficult to remove but we got it out and the remote control throttle/shifter now works properly. Now, it will be interesting to see if the plastic stator (?) covering melting off creates other issues associated with regulator etc. And WHY did this melt after all these years? Something strange is going on here. ???