1984 Force 125 Won't start. Help!!!

johntuba

Recruit
Motor was running fine then one day it just stopped. It turns over and tries to start but it just won't. Here is a link to the video of it turning over: http://youtu.be/PGSyQf1Pnzg

I look forward to your helpful comments.

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
is it getting fuel? I'm thinking its out of gas how it will fire for a second when you choke it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome, it's possible the flywheel key is sheared.
Try squeezing the ball till it's hard. It does get hard?
Check for water in the fuel?
Compression/ spark tests.
Check the fuel pump diaphragm.

johntuba

Recruit
I drained the fuel lines and tank and put new gas in it. It is getting fuel. I have not checked the fly wheel key. I know they do shear off pretty easy.

johntuba

Recruit
So I sprayed some carb cleaner in the ports and had some better results. Compression is good, spark plugs are good, wires are good. It will start for about 2 seconds and then stop.

Jiggz

Captain
The problem is fuel starvation. First make sure you install a clear fuel filter between the fuel pump outlet and the carb's inlet. Check to make sure the idle mixture screw is set at least 1 turn out from slightly seated on all carbs. Check the idle screw is properly set by checking the cam line against the roller. Use proper starting procedure, i.e. prime until bulb is firm, place throttle lever in fast idle position, push in and hold the ignition sw to choke while starting.

The clear fuel filter should stay full or at least 3/4 full when engine is running. If goes empty and engine dies, then the problem is upstream of the fuel filter, i.e. fuel pump, leaky or clogged fuel hoses, clogged pick up tube, stuck check valve on the primer bulb, etc. If the engine dies but the fuel filter stays full or at least 3/4 full, the problem is downstream of the filter, i.e. carb's float settings, clogged needle port or jets, etc.