Force 5hp Lower Unit Shaft Won't Go into Crankshaft

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I changed the impeller on my 1989 5 hp Force, and when I go to install the lower unit, the lower unit driveshaft will not find the crankshaft hole. This is the second time I've gone through this, and try as I may, the only way to get it to install is to remove the engine and install the engine onto the lower unit drive shaft. Am I missing something? The manual says it goes in without having to remove the engine, but I have not been able to do it that way. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Have you tried turning the crankshaft slightly, try to insert and if it doesn't go, turn the crank shaft some more. If the drive shaft has splines on the end of it, it's sometimes difficult to get them lined up unless you turn either the crankshaft or the drive shaft slightly when you insert the lower unit.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, I tried and tried turning the crankshaft and no go. Looking at it from the engine side the driveshaft does not really go straight into the crankshaft, does not have the best alignment, and the crankshaft opening and teeth are not smooth, having suffered from some past corrosion. I cleaned it up and greased it well, but to get the driveshaft to go in on this engine it looks like it's only going to happen from the top. Hopefully I don't have to change the impeller for some time.