1975 45hp Chrysler Outboard Motor Help Needed

OldBoat2022

Cadet
Just changed the lower unit oil in my 1975 45hp outboard Chrysler. I made a stupid mistake and removed the Gear Shift Arm Pin instead of the drain screw. Looking at the parts diagram, I believe that is the right terminology for the part... When I noticed what I had done, I put it right back in and tightened it back down. I had to kinda wiggle it back into place to get it to go in.
So with that being said my concern is, did or could I have messed something up. Everything seems to be working right when I check it by hand. I am new to this and thought it might be worth while to ask someone that knows these motors before I take it out, potentially costing myself more money.
Another question, most outboards I have seen will hand turn the opposite direction of the gear its in. On this Chrysler I notice in gear I cannot turn it either way without turning over the motor. Is that normal? In neutral it will turn both directions.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Nordin

Commander
Re: 1975 45hp Chrysler Outboard Motor Help Needed

If you can feel that the flywheel has to turn when you turn the prop. in forward and reverse and it feel free when turning the prop. in neutral then you got the gear pivopin back in place.

Yes, your notice about turning over the engine in forward/reverse but not in neutral is normal.

OldBoat2022

Cadet

If you can feel that the flywheel has to turn when you turn the prop. in forward and reverse and it feel free when turning the prop. in neutral then you got the gear pivopin back in place.

Yes, your notice about turning over the engine in forward/reverse but not in neutral is normal.

Alright good to know! Thank you sir for your information. Sounds like I must have gotten it back in place.

wickware

Lieutenant

I added silicone over the pivot pin screw?s head to remove my thought of removing it.

OldBoat2022

Cadet

I added silicone over the pivot pin screw?s head to remove my thought of removing it.

Thats not a bad idea, I might just do that myself. When you look at the thing you should know just by the shape of it that its not the drain screw. I don't know what I was thinking... brain fart i guess.
Im just glad it lined back up for me with no prob.

OldBoat2022

Cadet

If you were to remove that and not get it lined up whats it do? What is the point of the pivot pin screw?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There is a saddle yoke made of brass and a steel yoke which together move the center shifting shaft. (The steel yoke is held in position by the pivot screw.) This moves the dog clutch forward or backward to engage the gears. If you remove the pivot pin and try to shift gears, everything will come out of place and you will need to disassemble the lower unit to put it back.

The dog clutch and the dogs on the gears are not cut with a relief ramp in them like most larger engines. Thus, when the lower unit is put into gear, the prop will lock in both directions.

OldBoat2022

Cadet

There is a saddle yoke made of brass and a steel yoke which together move the center shifting shaft. (The steel yoke is held in position by the pivot screw.) This moves the dog clutch forward or backward to engage the gears. If you remove the pivot pin and try to shift gears, everything will come out of place and you will need to disassemble the lower unit to put it back.

The dog clutch and the dogs on the gears are not cut with a relief ramp in them like most larger engines. Thus, when the lower unit is put into gear, the prop will lock in both directions.

Thank you for the info! Its nice to know how things work. This forum is a great place to get advice and information.