1988 force impeller question

tjonesy

Cadet
Hello all. I am replacing the impeller on an 85 h.p. force. I removed the water pump housing and noticed there is no gasket on between the back plate and the impeller housing. So I looked for a replacement impeller kit and or just parts that I want to replace. I found schematics showing all the parts for the water impeller, and it only shows one gasket under the back plate, then the impeller, then the pump housing. So I am wondering if I need to install a gasket, or seal the housing to the back plate this silicon, or just leave it the way it is. Any help would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 force impeller question

No seal/gasket needed.
Just put some grease on the impeller when installing.

tjonesy

Cadet

great, thanks you. do you have any idea what oil i should put in the lower unit? I cant find any info on it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Use a good 90w.
Mercruiser/ Mercury makes a great lube.
Wally World sells straight 80/90.
I use it because I change the oil in my lowers often in the summer.
My lowers, the drain plug "weeps" a bit so I change it a lot.

tjonesy

Cadet
Hey Jerry, I replaced the impeller and all is fine. Very easy job. So after I replaced this impeller I noticed the prop ribs on the inside of the gearbox. I looked at the parts diagram, and all the parts are there and they are the correct part numbers. I am wondering if the thrust washer can wear out, or if this is a problem with the bearings inside the gear box. If you have any idea or experience with anything like this, your advice would appreciated!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If it's rubbing then the washer(thrust hub) is the wrong one or the props wrong?
You have the original prop or an aftermarket?
The thrust hub shouldn't wear out as it's not rubbing/ riding on anything.
Try posting some pics.

Ccheyer99

Recruit
I just bought a " new to me" 1989 maxum. A really great friend of mine is getting me all set up - without his help I would probably not make it! I bought an impeller kit on eBay wish I knew this site first! Anyway as soon as I get home I'm takin time off and gettin my hands dirty. Love this site and all the knowledge I can absorb from the wisdom of the members

tjonesy

Cadet
Hey Jerry, I bought a new thrust washer and no rubbing. both the old and new thrust washers have the right part number on them. The old washer looks to be worn though. My thought is maybe the prop is out of ballance and the vibration has worn out the washer. your thoughts?

tjonesy

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo202835.jpg
    photo202835.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo202836.jpg
    photo202836.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo202837.jpg
    photo202837.jpg