What Type Inline Fuel Filter Do You Use?

Tnstratofam

Commander
I installed this filter between our fuel pump and carbs. We've had it out a couple of times this season, and after we got home on Saturday night I noticed a strong fuel smell coming from the boat. When I took the cowl off I noticed the fuel filter was empty. When I tried the primer bulb gas spit out of the seam on the filter. It looks like it split where it is made together. I have only run non ethanol gas in her as it is available at several gas stations here. My question is what do others on here use. Here is a pic of the filter.

The split is right where the top and bottom are fused together. It's only a cheap wally world filter. I'm glad we made it back to the ramp before it quit. I had planned on having a spare in my boat tool kit, but I forgot to pick one up. I will have a backup from now on... I also have a 3/8's barbed splice fitting in case I need to make a temporary repair to a damaged fuel line.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: What Type Inline Fuel Filter Do You Use?

100_6082.jpg

I have used them but mostly I use a fuel screen--the Purolator F50153-- and have had good luck with them. They are a 90 degree strainer and I either mount them between carbs on a 4 cylinder engine or below the carbs on a 3 cylinder.

Don't be filter shy. They are made for modern gasoline but you simply bought a defective one that failed at a poorly welded seam.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander

Thanks Frank I'll have to check one out.

Jiggz

Captain

I'm a little cheapo kinda guy so I used the automotive Fram FG2CS fuel filter that costs less than $3 at WM. So far, it's been more than 3 years and still intact.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I now run smaller filters, the kind you find on dirt bikes or lawn mowers, no brand preference. Also, if a customer brings me a motor and asks me to add a fuel filter to the system, I go ahead and replace the fuel pump diaphragm at the same time. I have found that adding a filter or two causes restriction in the line, not much mind you, but sometimes enough to make an old worn out fuel pump diaphragm struggle to keep up.
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this pressure issue after adding filters, but It has happened on about 3 I have worked on.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I use Fram Filters from Wally World.
G-2 or G-12 depending on the hose size.
Tater if the restriction is a problem, install it after the pump between the pump and carb.
There it doesn't affect the draw.

tater76

@jerry, The ones I have had issue with are in fact before the pump, so that makes sense.

Jiggz

Captain

As Jerry mentioned, personally, the purpose of the clear fuel filter mod is more for troubleshooting and the filtering itself is just secondary, hence it should always be between the pump and the carbs' inlet. As we all know there is already a primary filter built into the fuel pump suction side.

tater76

Yup, there are usually 2 screens prior to the pump. One is in the tank on the pickup, and the other on the pump itself. These catch alot of crap and serve a purpose. However, when I run into nasty old neglected boats that have a TON of crap in the built in tanks I run 2 inline clear filters as seen in the pic above. It's just insurance, and to each his own on where and how you want to put filters. I just want folks to know that "sometimes" an added filter will restrict the system, and in my experience it kills worn pump diaphragms.

Tnstratofam

Commander

I think Frank nailed it as to what happened to my filter. I feel like it is just a bad joint from production. It's only a $3.00 or $4.00 filter. I was curious is there was something better suited versus what I'm using. Not trying to over think things.

Here is how it looks just picking it up.

Here is the split..

I'm putting pressure on it to show the opening. Just because it looks okay doesn't mean it is.. Lesson learned for me..

Thanks for all the input.. If I come up with something different I'll post it up..