1999 Force 75HP fuel solenoid question / dying / smoking a bit much

hsh

Recruit
New guy here. Lot's of great info, great site.

I'm trying to discover why my 1999 Force 75hp is smoking more than normal, and bogs and dies at low rpm. Starts ok, runs high rpm ok (occasional miss), but have to restart engine a few times in the water to get it to stay running at low "no wake" speed because it dies when put in gear. Slowly bogs down.

I've been looking at the fuel solenoid for starters, after having read some of the related threads. It clicks when the ignition key is pushed in, and some fuel comes out. Not much. I had the top line (the one that goes to the intake manifold) disconnected at the solenoid, and when my son pressed the key in, it just drizzled a bit from the solenoid. Is it supposed to squirt out? Same when manually pressing the button on top of the unit. I removed the solenoid. Clicked the button repeatedly over a white rag, a rusty colored gas came out. I sprayed carb cleaner in both hose connections, and worked the button repeatedly. I also did the blow-through test as described in the SELOC book, no air passed when closed, air passed when button depressed.

So, how much fuel is supposed to come out of the solenoid when you are "choking" with the key?

As for smoking a bit much (more than other boats at the lake), could this be from the Seafoam I added to the gas? I had some old gas/Seafoam mix in the tank from last year, about 3 gallons I think, and added 5 gallons fresh gas, and a pint of Seafoam. Engine cranked right off, even when just the old gas was in it. Our gas as ethanol in it, up to 10%. I added 13 oz of oil to 5 gallons of gas for a 50:1 mix ratio.

Thanks in advance!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1999 Force 75HP fuel solenoid question / dying / smoking a bit much

You really can't get a good read of how much fuel the solenoid is dumping into the intake manifold as it works off of the combination of the vacuum in the manifold, and the fuel pump pressure. With the engine stopped, or the hose disconnected you won't see a whole lot coming out. From what you've done to the fuel enrichment solenoid, it sounds like it's OK.

The Seafoam will cause some additional smoke.

First thing you should do is to check your compression. Check to make sure you're getting spark to all the plugs. Make sure all the plugs look pretty much the same after a few hours of running. Check the fuel recirculation lines for blockage and check valves for proper operation. When was the last time you changed the fuel pump diaphragm?

hsh

Recruit

You really can't get a good read of how much fuel the solenoid is dumping into the intake manifold as it works off of the combination of the vacuum in the manifold, and the fuel pump pressure. With the engine stopped, or the hose disconnected you won't see a whole lot coming out. From what you've done to the fuel enrichment solenoid, it sounds like it's OK.

The Seafoam will cause some additional smoke.

First thing you should do is to check your compression. Check to make sure you're getting spark to all the plugs. Make sure all the plugs look pretty much the same after a few hours of running. Check the fuel recirculation lines for blockage and check valves for proper operation. When was the last time you changed the fuel pump diaphragm?

Never. Bought it used, used it some last summer, starting to use it more this year, but want to sort out the problems that are becoming noticeable. Off to read about fuel pumps.......and to look for my compression tester......thanks, it's supposed to rain here but I plan to check the compression this week and will report back.

hsh

Recruit

I did the compression check. Top to bottom, got 134, 135, and 129. Idle is at about 1000 rpm. Smokes quite a bit, but I had just sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs, still Seafoam in the gas. Let it run on muffs for about 3 or 4 minutes, goosed the throttle, lots of smoke. Could this be a dirty carb issue? It'll be a little while before I get her back in the water, rain in the forecast. She didn't bog down at low throttle, or sputter and miss as much as before.

Will check spark later.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it's running then the spark probably isn't a problem.
The choke/ enricher has a diaphragm in it.
Possible the pumps feeding past the enricher.
Pinch off the tiny hose from the enricher and see if it helps.
The smoke, it's gonna smoke until you run it and it burns off all the excess.
The more additives you add the worse it's gonna run.
Seafoam isin't really made to burn like gas.
Get a spare tank with just gas/oil and see if it runs better?
Maybe water in the fuel?