Force 50 HP gear case and no neutral

Rustafer

Recruit
Hello all, I have a 1990 50 hp force that I decided to change out all the seals on. I'm pretty much mechanically ignorant but thought, how hard could it be?!!!
So here's my issue, I was able to disassemble and reassemble and thought all was well. As I put the carrier in place and bolted it on, I somehow lose nuetral?
Before bolting completely tight I can shift manually from the shift lever and feel all 3 gears. As I tighten in down I lose nuetral. You can spin the spline and see the drive shaft go from clockwise to counterclockwise without a gap of freewheel which I figure is nuetral.
Any help would be much appreciated as fishing tournaments start in a cpl weeks...

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 50 HP gear case and no neutral

Do you have a 2 piece lower unit?

Rustafer

Recruit

I also realized that I don't have the ball that goes in the prop shaft anymore. Looked online for it and said it is not available anymore. Is this something that may be causing the issue?

Rustafer

Recruit

Well the ball is there to do something. I don't know off the top of my head what it's exact purpose is though.

Back to your problem....I would take a look at the gear shift coupling #34, which engages the yoke #56 which rides on a groove on the gear shift pin #22.

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - GEAR HOUSING - FORCE 1990 50 H.P. "B" MODELS

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have the yolk in right, as I checked to make sure it shifted fine with shift rod by hand.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you are talking about the small 1/16 ball in the side of the prop shaft, it is there to positively locate the reverse gear. It is not completely necessary as earlier year Chrysler and Force engines did not have it.

If the yoke is installed correctly and when not mounted to the engine the lower unit shifts correctly through all three gears, then you need to adjust the lower shift rod. Screw it all the way down then back out only enough to align the holes in the coupler just above the lower unit. Insert the pin and cotter. Then, when you re-mount the lower unit, you need to adjust the threaded coupler on the side of the engine leg for correct throw.

Rustafer

Recruit

Thank you, have everything bolted up and have all 3 gears. Won't have it in water til the weekend but feeling optimistic.