1989 force 125 carb question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '89 Force 125. Model #1258x9e.
As I was I was cleaning the carbs last night, I noticed a hole drilled thru one of the brass inserts on the side of the top carb. Looked at the bottom carb and same thing. Is this normal? All the other brass plugs do not have holes in them. I took a pic but can't figure out how to attach it to this. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Jake

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1989 force 125 carb question

To load up a pic click on the "pic" icon which is the third icon form the right on top of the reply box. clicking this presents you a insert image box with two folder selections, select "computer" and then click on the "basic uploader". From there is gives you option to choose the file of the image you want to upload and then click upload. Click "Post Quick Reply" and you should see your pics loaded. Here's a diagram of the carb maybe you can id the part you are referring to with the item number.
1989_125HP Carb

1111.jpg
there... I think this worked.. problem was I was trying to use the mobile page. all those options weren't available.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes that hole is normal. It's a metered hole and is the vent for the fuel bowl. If t get's plugged, the fuel will have a harder time flowing into the fuel bowl. If you see fuel coming out of it, it means either you have a bad needle valve, debris that's preventing the needle valve from closing, or the float level is set too high.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

Ditto with PNW it is normal and a must as a vent and a telltale if your needle is not closing properly.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you spray cleaner down that hole and then compressed air. You don't want that hole clogged. What PNW said, more than likely crap in your bowl and seat, make sure you have a filter between the fuel pump and the carbies.

Awesome. Thanks guys. At some point one of the previous owners had plugged it with some goop, looks like RTV. I knew it didn't look right so I started picking at it but didn't expect to see those holes. Now if I can get the ignition system working I'll be ready to launch!

MickLovin

Good Comp, good spark, good fuel, good luck! LOL, nah don't need luck if you maintain them to the manual's spec's. Place a new post on your ignition problems.

Nah. I'm good on the ignition. Have it diagnosed just need to save for 2 new cd modules.... first boat and never knew how expensive parts were!

MickLovin

LOL yessem boats are expensive full stop

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

BOAT..... acronym for Break Out Another Thousand!

MickLovin

Nah. I'm good on the ignition. Have it diagnosed just need to save for 2 new cd modules.... first boat and never knew how expensive parts were!
You will probably find that ill informed previous owner had clogged them up to stop them leaking, not knowing they are the breather and overflow for the carbs, he probably more than likely had a needle and seat problem or an in-correct float adjustment.

Jiggz

Captain

Wait until you decided to have a mechanic do the repairs and then tell us how expensive parts are. Don't forget to check Craigslist for boatyard parts or *bay!

Thanks for the advice, guys. To be honest, I really don't have a horrible amount into it at this point. But that's simply because the boat was free and I've been doing all the work myself. Any of you know of a good source for new parts for these motors? I'm not a huge fan of used electrical..... especially after taking 3 attempts on ebay to finally get a good stator....

Jiggz

Captain

For OEM, my first suggestion is iboats for their good pricing but if they do not carry them, then you have to go to either boats dot net or crowleymarine dot com. Beware, a brand new OEM CD module (ignition packs) can cost as high as $500 each from these two stores. The other source which is a little cheaper (non-OEM) is CDI electronics or from boatpartstore dot com which costs a little over $200. And finally, of course *bay which goes as little as $100 (just make sure you get a warranty from the seller) or better yet find a NOS (new old stock) item.

Skippy1

Cadet
I have a 125 force 1989 The Little plastic piece that connects the throttle and the time in linkage together Has broken is there a diagram that can show me what that Piece is.

Jiggz

Captain
Skippy, you need to start your own thread. You will get prompt and more targeted responses. As for the little plastic thing on top of the timing/control tower, some member have managed to fabricate one from aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.