Impeller install on 1990 Gamefisher (Force) 15 hp.

johsonbert

Recruit
motor.jpg

boat.jpg

Hi everyone!

So after reading the how and what to do regarding my new toy, I took the lower unit off to see how the impeller looked. Note for future projects: follow all instructions here to remove lower unit and change the impeller, they're good. But you have to disconnect the shifting linkage (allen screw) after you drop the lower unit.

When I removed it from the shaft, it looked good. The fins sealed against the body walls, even slightly bent. But on the advice from here, I decided to totally go through the motor. My question now . . . when I removed the rubber impeller, it looked like it was glued/sealed on with red gasket maker on top of the key (pin). Should I seal/glue the replacement when I install on the shaft?

(hopefully the pics worked).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Impeller install on 1990 Gamefisher (Force) 15 hp.

Pics of the glue?
Shouldn't be any sealer in there.
The impeller if it's got a bend in the vanes, replace it.
If you've gone to the trouble to take it out, replace it.

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^ Agree

The impeller fins are straight when new, but they take a "set" from being bent over in the waterpump housing over time, normal, but not good. The impeller should be replaced every 2 years, or if you don't know it's age.

I wouldn't put any sealant/glue on the impeller pin as it could cause problems disassembling things in the future. The previous owner probably put the sealant on there to aid in assembly, grease would have worked much better, but still not needed.

johsonbert

Recruit

002.jpg

This shows the bend in the impeller vanes when installed. I received the new one, and while I haven't set them side by side, the new one feels smaller. I'll switch them out tonight.

Also visible, is the red gasket maker material from the previous install.

johsonbert

Recruit

Definitely red gasket maker, thought it was lock-tite when I first took it apart.

More pics later, I am having a time doing this on my phone!