89 Force 50 hp outboard reverse lock link help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoDeen427

Recruit
I have a 1989 Force 50 hp outboard and can't figure out what's missing to be able to attach the reverse lock link to the rod that you turn clockwise our counterclockwise from the front of the motor labeled "engaged"/"disengaged....One end of the rod is threaded and goes through a moveable plate that supports the motor when it is on the raised position, the other end is hooked and appears to go into something that connects to the engage/ disengage rod which has a small roll pin through it, I can't figure out what is missing!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 Force 50 hp outboard reverse lock link help!

The upper rod has a plastic cam that is attached by a roll pin. This cam almost always breaks as does the lever in the front. At any rate, until you get the cam, it is possible to remove the threaded rod and wind heavy cord around the upper rod. You then turn the handle multiple times to raise or lower the locking plate. I forget whether or not the handle will hit the cowling though.

BoDeen427

Recruit

The upper rod has a plastic cam that is attached by a roll pin. This cam almost always breaks as does the lever in the front. At any rate, until you get the cam, it is possible to remove the threaded rod and wind heavy cord around the upper rod. You then turn the handle multiple times to raise or lower the locking plate. I forget whether or not the handle will hit the cowling though.
Where can I order the plastic cam? I haven't seen a plastic cam for this in any parts diagrams, just the reverse lock link...

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

29.jpg

#21 is the part you need.
Also compare the other parts you have to the diagram.
This is an easy job.
Just take your time.
Buy 2 of the #21 just in case.
This site doesn't have these kind of parts but Franz Marine or boats . net carries them.

BoDeen427

Recruit

Thank you, I ordered that part, I appreciate the help!

mellymel805

Recruit
Hi, I had this exact same problem with my 1987 force 85, so finding this forum helped a ton! I have the part (#21), but need to remove the engage/disengage lever to put the cam in place. Is there anywhere I can look to get instruction on how to do this?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi, I had this exact same problem with my 1987 force 85, so finding this forum helped a ton! I have the part (#21), but need to remove the engage/disengage lever to put the cam in place. Is there anywhere I can look to get instruction on how to do this?

Start a thread of your own. This one is too old and closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.