1983 100HP Chrysler smoking

bigjake6

Recruit
I need some help, my motor started blowing white smoke, it is not overheating and I have tried adjusting the 50:1 fuel mixture in very small amounts, to no avail the only thing I can think is I have read about water getting in the engine. I have checked my plugs and there is no difference in appearance. Any ideas would be very helpful. On another note this engine does not have a full stream of water coming out is this normal for a chrysler?

bigjake6

Recruit
Re: 1983 100HP Chrysler smoking

come on guys any help would REALLY be APPRECIATED!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Remember we can't always be on here.
Most have jobs.
Some just don't know and some think they do and really just blow smoke themselfs :)
Is it blowing smoke or steam?
The pressure relief valve could be stuck and not allowing the water to circulate as well as it should?
Possible the impeller's shot??
Possible the thermo's not opening all the way.
Compression?
Does it have any water coming out the mid sections hole or holes on the back?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

LOL jerryjerry, thought I would blow some smoke on here :p. I had a 100hp as well, what is your idea of blowing smoke and blowing too much smoke, have you checked your compression and spark plugs?
Mine blew some smoke, it is a two stroke, so what's your idea of too much.
First do your 3 checks comp, spark, fuel. Then get back to us.
It isn't a stream but more a heavy spluttering, but the more they rev it should become a constant amount.
When's the last time you did your impeller or checked your thermostat.

bloodygazza

Cadet

"my motor started blowing white smoke"
Is it run while in the water, or on a hose? Steam dissipates fairly quickly and leaves no trace, (oil) smoke hangs around and the odour lingers; which do you think it is?

"On another note this engine does not have a full stream of water coming out is this normal for a chrysler?"
Where is this stream coming from; the exhaust snout or the exhaust relief? Or from a tell-tale that has been fitted to the cooling system? If you ask 'is this normal for a Chrysler', are you new to owning a Chrysler and becoming familiar with it's idiosyncrasies?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Chrysler don't have a tell tale unless someone has put one on it, I would put it into a tank of water, don't rely on muffs.

bigjake6

Recruit

Thanks for the help, I have finally had time to get back to work, just getting over my first case of flu for the year(just when the fishing is getting good)!!!! I plan on tearing into it this evening, I did check the thermostat and it opening and closing fine, I figure the next is the impeller. I have one on order hopefully I can get it changed by the weekend I will keep you all posted. again thanks for the ideas!!