Chrysler Tachometer Question

I picked up a tach on ebay and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. To be honest I am not sure how to wire it since there are only two posts on the back and there doesn't seem to be a way to open it up. In the third picture is that number at the top a part number? I only paid $30 for it so if it can't work then at least it looks good.

photo 1.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 2.jpg

boat.jpg

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler Tachometer Question

Hi Andrew, one will be a negative and the other will be a signal, which will be the white cable from your motor which is normally either on the ignition switch or taped off in the cable loom, the only problem is I am sure which terminal on this is negative and which is signal, the big hole is your light bulb which earths out on the gauge frame,
837j.jpg
Maybe someone else on here may know the exact connections on your gauge, I don't have mine anymore to check for you sorry.

submariner1980

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Negative terminal is a mounting stud. Try to connect +12 v to one terminal with insulation around and if tachometer sets in 0 you got it, if not try second terminal. Check your Chrysler specification is it right tachometer for this motor, some of them have difference in stator pole ie pulses.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

They usually have a 1 - 4 setting for cylinders on the original Chrysler Tachos.
As you look at the back of that tacho with the light bulb opening to the top the insulated stud on the left should be your 12 volt ignition and the other your white signal from the motor. And as Sub has mentioned the negative would be bolted down as under the mounting nuts. If you have a 3 cylinder set it to 3 4 set it to 4 etc.
Some unlike yours had a separate stud for the light positive, I had one that did and two that didn't.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander

That one is for a fourstroke engine. Tachos from factory did have a switch where you selected 2, 3 or 4 cyl. The range is to low for a two stroker, it should be up to minimum 6-6500 rpm.
That one fit Chrysler IB engines. It counts pulses from the ign.coil negative terminal.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yup that's for the in-line, inboard 6 Chrysler used a LONG time ago.
That motor was used in a lot of older Chris Crafts and even ended up on travel lifts.