Need a Peak Reading Voltmeter

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I'm in the process of testing my 1994 70hp Force's ignition system. All I have is a typical multimeter though so I have only been able to test the resistance of the stator, trigger, and coils (all were good). I need a peak reading voltmeter for the other high voltage tests but the cheapest one out there seems to be well over $100 and the cheapest adapter for common multimeter is about $70. Aside from buying the adapter, is there a place to rent these? I was hoping they had them at Autozone for tool renting but I haven't checked. Any ideas?

BTW, this motor sounds like it misses out on one cylinder occasionally at idle and when accelerating and at WOT it randomly surges and the power varies with consistent throttle applied. I had a mechanic take a look at the problem 2-3 years back and he said the stator was bad.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Need a Peak Reading Voltmeter

I believe what you are looking for is a DVA or Digital Voltmeter Adapter. Depending on multimeter you have you can actually find one for less than $25.
DVA

However, based from your symptoms, I doubt the DVA will be helpful since the problem is intermittent rather than constant. To troubleshoot first you need to isolate whether it is spark or fuel related. To check for sparks, you can use a timing light to see the constancy of spark firing on each cylinder by observing the timing light (not directly but bounced off some dark colored paper). If you observed irregularity in the firing, then you can start checking the ignition system supplying the suspected cylinder. However, if all cylinders displays constant firing, then the problem might be more fuel related or even mechanical like broken reeds, low compression, etc.

Last edited:

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

I believe what you are looking for is a DVA or Digital Voltmeter Adapter. Depending on multimeter you have you can actually find one for less than $25.
DVA

However, based from your symptoms, I doubt the DVA will be helpful since the problem is intermittent rather than constant. To troubleshoot first you need to isolate whether it is spark or fuel related. To check for sparks, you can use a timing light to see the constancy of spark firing on each cylinder by observing the timing light (not directly but bounced off some dark colored paper). If you observed irregularity in the firing, then you can start checking the ignition system supplying the suspected cylinder. However, if all cylinders displays constant firing, then the problem might be more fuel related or even mechanical like broken reeds, low compression, etc.

Thanks for the link. I'd be willing to pay that for that adapter. And I think I am going to pick up or borrow a timing light and try to see if the ignition is indeed the problem first.

Can I also ask if you know of a place to buy a cheap and good quality inductive tach?

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

Most forum members go for the Tiny Tach for inductive types. You might want to google "inductive tach" and you will see a lot of choices. Just make sure it is fit for a 2-cycle engine though.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

Most forum members go for the Tiny Tach for inductive types. You might want to google "inductive tach" and you will see a lot of choices. Just make sure it is fit for a 2-cycle engine though.

Thanks again. I'll look into them.