1989 Force 5hp - No Pee Hole?

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I?m fixing 1989 Force 5 hp as a favor for my neighbor, it was sitting for 2 years under an open carport. I got it going and it has good compression (115 psi cold), but the shifter handle is hard as a rock to move, the prop has one blade missing, it has no engine cover cowling, and the bottom cowling is damaged. I look online and the impeller is like $68 minimum new, and the prop is used like $60 minimum. I?m thinking this might not be worth fixing?

Anyhow, I?m wondering how I can know if the water pump is working, I don?t see water coming out of the little exhaust holes that point down on the back of the middle of the drive shaft housing. I look on YouTube videos and can?t see water coming out of those either. How does one know the impeller is bad if there?s no pee hole?

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Force 5hp - No Pee Hole?

A lot of guys put them in, I did on my 40hp. Not sure about your setup, mine had a brass plug on top, which is where I put in a 90 degree fitting and a hose coming through the lower cowl. Just nice to know it's pumping.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I took it apart and the impeller needs replacing. It has no pee hole, the water goes through the head and back down a tube inside the drive shaft housing and out the exhaust outlet just above the prop. It uses no thermostat.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I took it apart and the impeller needs replacing. It has no pee hole, the water goes through the head and back down a tube inside the drive shaft housing and out the exhaust outlet just above the prop. It uses no thermostat.

CORRECTION: there is a pee hole in front of the water pump that exits out a little hole in the front of the lower unit, see arrow:

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No pic? For the pee hole, arrow?
Finding the parts to replace all that's missing?
You probably could buy a running motor for the same cost.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
No pic? For the pee hole, arrow?
Finding the parts to replace all that's missing?
You probably could buy a running motor for the same cost.

The motor is completed, I bought 3 used motors and with my neighbors motor (I had 4 motors) I ended up making three motors and sold two and gave my neighbor his all fixed and updated. These engines are very light (37 lbs) so are easier to carry around for older people. They are very simple and easy to work on. In the end I learned a ton about getting the parts. Anyone that needs information on parts can post here.

Last edited: