1996 Force 120hp OB, water in lower unit oil

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, When I changed my lower unit oil I had water in the oil. What are the possible problems and repair tips.

Thanks, John

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1996 Force 120hp OB, water in lower unit oil

First and easiest thing to locate the "FILL" and "VENT" fittings. They should be labeled on the lower unit. They have washers under the plugs and sometimes they go bad allowing water to get into the gear case. If that's not the problem, then a lower unit seal kit is available but it does require dis-assembly of the lower unit.

Jiggz

Captain

X1 on the screw cap gaskets. I had the same experience and fortunately after replacing the gasket the oil stayed clear.

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First and easiest thing to locate the "FILL" and "VENT" fittings. They should be labeled on the lower unit. They have washers under the plugs and sometimes they go bad allowing water to get into the gear case. If that's not the problem, then a lower unit seal kit is available but it does require dis-assembly of the lower unit.

Thanks for the reply, I will replace them. Is the "lower unit seal kit" installed through the prop assembly or the impeller/water pump assembly? Can water get in the oil from the water pump assembly? I'm guessing it's due for a new impeller anyway

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The seal kit consists of seals for the driveshaft, which are located under the water pump, and around the propeller shaft. Your lower unit is the Mercury style which I've never done before.

Your best bet would be to get a manual and look at maybe some of the YouTube videos for the Mercury outboard lower units. You might get a better idea as to what's involved.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The FIRST thing is do a pressure test.
Fill out the profile, location? You might be close to someone who can help??
The fill/drain plugs could be the problem but you won't know unless you test it.
You could buy a seal kit, you could also be wasting your $$$

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The FIRST thing is do a pressure test.
Fill out the profile, location? You might be close to someone who can help??
The fill/drain plugs could be the problem but you won't know unless you test it.
You could buy a seal kit, you could also be wasting your $$$

Jerry, What is the best way to do the pressure test? Thanks, John

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Use the search option on the top. "Pressure tester"
It will send you to a bunch of links to pressure testers.
On how to make them.
Try u-tube too.
Maybe someone on here can show you how to make one.
I have a professional one. You can buy them but they aren't real cheap.